Wolf Pack End Season with 3-1 Setback to Hershey
Hersey, PA, April 14, 2019 - Sunday at Giant Center, the Hartford Wolf Pack ended their 2018-19 season with a 3-1 loss to the Hershey Bears.
That result made the Wolf Pack's final record 29-36-7-4 for 69 points.
The Wolf Pack's Darren Raddysh opened the scoring only 32 seconds into the game, but that was the only goal allowed by Hershey netminder Ilya Samsonov, who made 23 saves.
Bear forwards Chris McCarthy and Joe Snively had a goal and two assists apiece, and Joey Leach scored the second-period game-winner.
"I liked our start, Wolf Pack head coach Keith McCambridge said. "I thought we came out with lots of jump, and then, a breakdown on the forecheck and an odd-man rush the other way, and then a bounce off of a net-front body for Hershey, and we were chasing the game from behind.
"I thought as the games have gone along here, the ATO's (Amateur Tryout players) that we've had in our lineup have been able to really showcase themselves in a good way."
Raddysh scored his first goal in 22 Wolf Pack games on the first shift, breaking up a Bear clearing attempt in the right point and snapping a shot towards the net. Samsonov got a piece of it with his catching glove, but the puck squeaked past him and into the net.
That would be the extent of the Wolf Pack offense, though, and Hershey replied at 11:09, with McCarthy, a former Wolf Pack, scoring his first goal in two games since joining the Bears from the ECHL. Shane Gersich sent a drop pass to McCarthy, moving up the slot, and he fired a shot past Wolf Pack goaltender Adam Huska (30 saves) on the glove side.
The Bears scored the only goal of the second period, the first career AHL goal for Leach. Snively passed the puck out of the right-wing corner across to Leach at the opposite point, and he unleashed a drive that deflected past Huska to his left.
That would turn out to be the winner, and Snively added an empty-net goal for the final margin with 1:26 left in the third, assisted by McCarthy and Nathan Walker.
Information about all of the Wolf Pack's many attractive ticketing options can be found on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com. To speak with a Wolf Pack representative, call (855) 762-6451.
Hartford Wolf Pack 1 at Hershey Bears 3
Sunday - Giant Center
Hartford 1 0 0 - 1
Hershey 1 1 1 - 3
1st Period-1, Hartford, Raddysh 9 0:32. 2, Hershey, McCarthy 1 (Gersich, Snively), 11:09. Penalties-O'Donnell Hfd (tripping), 5:59; Gersich Her (slashing), 14:51.
2nd Period-3, Hershey, Leach 1 (Snively, McCarthy), 5:07. Penalties-Dmowski Hfd (slashing), 8:05; Gersich Her (hooking), 10:35; Newell Hfd (high-sticking), 11:57; Gustafsson Her (delay of game), 14:56.
3rd Period-4, Hershey, Snively 2 (McCarthy, Walker), 18:34 (EN). Penalties-No Penalties
Shots on Goal-Hartford 8-8-8-24. Hershey 7-11-15-33.
Power Play Opportunities-Hartford 0 / 3; Hershey 0 / 3.
Goalies-Hartford, Huska 1-5-2 (32 shots-30 saves). Hershey, Samsonov 20-14-2 (24 shots-23 saves).
Referees-Carter Sandlak (6), Chris Waterstradt (88).
Linesmen-Tom George (61), Colin Gates (3).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2019
- Heat Fall 3-2 on Fan Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Condors Claim Top Spot in Western Conference with 3-2 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win AHL Scoring Races - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win American Hockey League Scoring Races - AHL
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Face Iowa in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins, Wolves to Renew Rivalry in Central Division Semifinals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sifers Final Game Ends with a Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Moose Close Season by Beating Chicago, 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack End Season with 3-1 Setback to Hershey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Wrap Regular Season - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Edged by Comets, 4-3, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Finish Regular Season on High Note, Win 3-1 - Hershey Bears
- Eddie Pasquale Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Homes Memorial Award - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Eddie Pasquale Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- P-Bruins Fall 6-1 to T-Birds in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Syracuse Crunch to Face Cleveland Monsters in North Division Semifinals - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters Clinch Playoff Berth - Cleveland Monsters
- Penguins Victorious in Season Finale, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Clinch Playoff Berth with Commanding 5-1 Win over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Tyler Wong Wins Dan Snyder Man of the Year Award - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Close out Regular Season with 4-2 Win in Belleville, Tie Franchise Record for Road Wins - Rochester Americans
- Roadrunners Fall One Goal, One Point Short of Playoff Berth - Tucson Roadrunners
- Devils Lose Season Finale to Penguins, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Cap 2018-19 Season with Explosive 6-1 Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Fall to Amerks in Regular Season Finale - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Condors in Season Finale - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Close out Regular Season against Monsters - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Vitek Vanecek from Hershey, Re-Assign Ilya Samsonov - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, April 14 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Closes Door on 2018-19 Season - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- Wolf Pack Announce Training Camp Schedule and Roster
- American Hockey League Announces 2020-21 Schedule
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Alex Whelan