Wolves Hold off Stars in Third Period
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, saw a three-game win streak come to an end tonight as the Chicago Wolves took a 4-3 win at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. Texas was held off the board in the third period despite a game-high 14 shots on net.
The Stars top line of Denis Gurianov, Michael Mersch and Roope Hintz were the catalysts for much of the Stars offense tonight. The group logged considerable ice time and was the cause of all three Texas goals. Hintz led the charge in the first period, scoring his first goal of the season in a battle by the crease. The center opened the scoring 5:27 into the game, beginning his second career three-point outing (1-2=3).
Chicago battled back, forcing a pair of turnovers into scoring chances in the slot. Griffin Reinhart and Brooks Macek each found the twine behind goaltender Landon Bow off the turnovers and taking the lead into the first intermission. Bow finished the night with 27 saves, dropping his first contest in regulation this season.
Gurianov wasted no time tying the game at two. The winger rushed down off the opening faceoff in the second period to tally his sixth goal in six straight games. The tying goal also tied Devin Shore for the franchise's longest goal streak, set in the 2015-2016 season. Gurianov added an assist later in the period to bring his season total to nine points (6-3=9) in eight games.
Mersch then added his third goal of the season to give the Stars a 3-2 advantage at the 9:47 mark of the second period. The winger battled along the right side of Oscar Dansk's net and jammed the puck in to retake the advantage. The Wolves goaltender ended the night with 30 saves and the win as Chicago bounced back before the intermission.
Brandon Pirri and Daniel Carr each tallied goals for the Wolves in the final 10 minute of the second period, taking a 4-3 lead to the break. Carr's power play goal was the only special teams tally of the night and proved to be the game winner as Dansk made 14 stops in the final 20 minutes of play.
Texas will look to bounce back against the San Jose Barracuda tomorrow night at 7 p.m. at H-E-B Center. It is the first game against a non-divisional opponent and the start of three straight games against Pacific Division teams.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
1. Roope Hintz (TEX)
2. Brandon Pirri (CHI)
3. Denis Gurianov (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and are back for another game at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park tomorrow night to face the San Jose Barracuda at 7 p.m. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
Images from this story
Texas Stars LW Michael Mersch vs. the Chicago Wolves
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2018
- Iowa Earns 6-5 Overtime Win against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Comets for 4-0 Win - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Hold off Stars in Third Period - Texas Stars
- Eagles Winning Streak Comes to End in 6-5 OT Loss to Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Overtime, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carr, Wolves Drive Past Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Johnson Leads Penguins over Bears, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bean Scores First Pro Goal in Overtime to Beat Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Force Overtime in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Win First Ever Contest against Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Johnson Scores Twice, Bears Blanked in Wilkes-Barre - Hershey Bears
- Comets Shutout by Americans - Utica Comets
- Marlies Looking for Third Straight Win at Home - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Host Providence, Hartford on Saturday & Sunday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce Three Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Game #7 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Launch Fourth Annual "Share the Warmth" Winter Clothing Drive - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night and Tumbler Giveaway Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat in San Diego Searching for Third-Straight Road Win at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Recall Paterson from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Griffins, October 26 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.