Devils Force Overtime in 4-3 Loss to Checkers
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Brett Seney and Michael McLeod helped the Devis erase a two-goal deficit in the third period to force overtime, however, the Charlotte Checkers escaped with a 4-3 overtime win at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday night.
Janne Kuokkanen put the Checkers up by a goal as he sent a one timer over the right shoulder of goaltender Cory Schneider just 5:11 into the game. Trevor Carrick set up the pass from the center point and Greg McKegg collected the secondary assist.
The lead didn't last long as Nick Lappin evened the score just 0:39 later. Lappin cut through the hash marks in front of the crease and let a backhand go that beat goaltender Callum Booth under his leg pads. The goal was Lappin's sixth of the year with assists from Brett Seney and Eric Tangradi at 5:50.
The Checkers added two more power-play goals in the final five minutes of the first period to take a 3-1 lead into the intermission. Julien Gauthier and Morgan Geekie both tallied goals on the man advantage at 15:05 and 17:26 to take the two-goal lead into the second frame. Shots favored the Devils after one period, 10-7.
Schneider denied two breakaway chances in the second period to keep the deficit at two for the Devils. Binghamton outshot Charlotte in the middle frame, 8-7.
Brett Seney pulled the Devils within a goal as he deflected a Josh Jacobs shot from the point by Booth for his first of the year at the 5:37 mark. Jacobs was credited with the assist on the shot and Tangradi collected his second helper of the night.
With Schneider on the bench and the net empty, Michael McLeod buried a rebound after a faceoff win to tie the game at three on his first professional goal. Tangradi and John Quenneville had the assists to even the score, 3-3, with 2:10 left in the game.
Jake Bean ended the game 0:56 into overtime and the Checkers advanced to 6-0 on the road this season. Schneider stopped 20 of 24 in the loss while Booth stopped 24 of 27 in the win.
The Devils return home tomorrow against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. It's a Halloween Party followed by a FREE Halloween postgame skate. Tickets for Saturday's game are available HERE.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Charlotte Checkers vs. the Binghamton Devils
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2018
- Iowa Earns 6-5 Overtime Win against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Comets for 4-0 Win - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Hold off Stars in Third Period - Texas Stars
- Eagles Winning Streak Comes to End in 6-5 OT Loss to Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Overtime, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carr, Wolves Drive Past Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Johnson Leads Penguins over Bears, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bean Scores First Pro Goal in Overtime to Beat Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Force Overtime in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Win First Ever Contest against Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Johnson Scores Twice, Bears Blanked in Wilkes-Barre - Hershey Bears
- Comets Shutout by Americans - Utica Comets
- Marlies Looking for Third Straight Win at Home - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Host Providence, Hartford on Saturday & Sunday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce Three Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Game #7 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Launch Fourth Annual "Share the Warmth" Winter Clothing Drive - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night and Tumbler Giveaway Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat in San Diego Searching for Third-Straight Road Win at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Recall Paterson from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Griffins, October 26 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.