Comets Shutout by Americans
Rochester, N.Y. - The Utica Comets were unable to muster up a solid offensive attack as they fell 4-0 to the Rochester Americans Friday night at Blue Cross Arena.
Zach Redmond scored the game's first goal halfway through the first period, firing a one-timer past Richard Bachman. The Comets fought hard to even the game up but Amerks goaltender Scott Wedgewood stood tall as Rochester took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Kevin Porter made it 2-0 four minutes into the second period, beating out Bachman to a loose puck and sliding the puck into an empty net. Despite numerous chances, including a five-on-three power play, the Comets were unable to find the net in the middle frame.
Danny O'Regan extended the lead to 3-0 with 12:31 to go in the third, deflecting a shot past Bachman. A bad bounce off a Comet defender resulted in Alex Nylander pushing Rochester's lead to 4-0 five minutes later.
Bachman stopped 20 shots and his record falls to 1-4-0 on the year. Wedgewood finished with 20 saves to pick up the shutout win.
The Comets return to action Friday, November 2 when they hit the road to take on the Laval Rocket. Puck drop at Place Bell is at 7:30 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2018
- Iowa Earns 6-5 Overtime Win against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Comets for 4-0 Win - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Hold off Stars in Third Period - Texas Stars
- Eagles Winning Streak Comes to End in 6-5 OT Loss to Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Overtime, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carr, Wolves Drive Past Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Johnson Leads Penguins over Bears, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bean Scores First Pro Goal in Overtime to Beat Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Force Overtime in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Win First Ever Contest against Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Johnson Scores Twice, Bears Blanked in Wilkes-Barre - Hershey Bears
- Comets Shutout by Americans - Utica Comets
- Marlies Looking for Third Straight Win at Home - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Host Providence, Hartford on Saturday & Sunday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce Three Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Game #7 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Launch Fourth Annual "Share the Warmth" Winter Clothing Drive - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night and Tumbler Giveaway Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat in San Diego Searching for Third-Straight Road Win at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Recall Paterson from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Griffins, October 26 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.