T-Birds Host Providence, Hartford on Saturday & Sunday
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (4-0-0-2) return to the MassMutual Center on Saturday and Sunday for matchups with their division rivals, the Providence Bruins (2-4-1-0 entering weekend) and Hartford Wolf Pack (4-4-1-0 entering weekend).
Springfield enters the weekend as the only remaining AHL team without a regulation loss on the season. The Thunderbirds have picked up at least one point in each of their six games to start the 2018-19 season. They entered Friday as the second-best team in the AHL in terms of points percentage (.833), trailing only the Atlantic Division-leading Charlotte Checkers (.857).
On top of their torrid team pace, the Thunderbirds also boast the league's highest scoring team, potting 4.67 goals per game. The Thunderbirds' impressive season also includes a 17-7 scoring advantage against their opponents at 5-on-5 play.
Goaltenders Michael Hutchinson, Sam Montembeault, and Chris Driedger have combined to post a .937 save percentage, anchoring a defense that ranks fifth in the AHL, allowing just 2.67 goals per game. Montembeault has led the way in the crease, winning each of his first three starts and stopping 95 of 101 shots.
The Bruins enter the Thunderdome looking to atone for a 6-3 loss at the T-Birds' hands on Oct. 14. Jacob MacDonald scored his first two goals as a Thunderbird in his first game with the club. Montembeault made 30 saves to pick up his second of three straight wins. Springfield also got multi-point nights from Henrik Borgstrom (1g,1a), Jayce Hawryluk (2a), Harry Zolnierczyk (1g, 2a), and Anthony Greco (1g,1a).
After the Bruins visit on Saturday, the Hartford Wolf Pack take the short trek up I-91 for the first matchup of the season series between the nearby rivals. After starting their season with two straight wins, the Wolf Pack have fallen in five of their last seven contests, including a 7-3 defeat to Lehigh Valley on Oct. 24. Hartford has allowed at least three goals in each of their last seven games. The Wolf Pack's stop in Springfield is the first of five straight games away from the XL Center.
Following the two-game weekend set on home ice, the Thunderbirds get their first crack at the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in a home-and-home series on Friday, Nov. 2 at home and on Saturday, Nov. 3 in Bridgeport. Puck drop for both games is slated for just after 7:00 p.m.
Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Season Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2018
- Iowa Earns 6-5 Overtime Win against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Comets for 4-0 Win - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Hold off Stars in Third Period - Texas Stars
- Eagles Winning Streak Comes to End in 6-5 OT Loss to Wild - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Clipped by Admirals in Overtime, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carr, Wolves Drive Past Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Johnson Leads Penguins over Bears, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bean Scores First Pro Goal in Overtime to Beat Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Force Overtime in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Win First Ever Contest against Grand Rapids - Belleville Senators
- Johnson Scores Twice, Bears Blanked in Wilkes-Barre - Hershey Bears
- Comets Shutout by Americans - Utica Comets
- Marlies Looking for Third Straight Win at Home - Toronto Marlies
- T-Birds Host Providence, Hartford on Saturday & Sunday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce Three Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Game #7 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Launch Fourth Annual "Share the Warmth" Winter Clothing Drive - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night and Tumbler Giveaway Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat in San Diego Searching for Third-Straight Road Win at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Recall Paterson from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Griffins, October 26 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Cap 2018-19 Season with Explosive 6-1 Win in Providence
- Greco Becomes First 30-Goal Scorer in T-Birds History in Sold out Finale
- Sold out MassMutual Center Sees T-Birds Stomp Sound Tigers, 7-2
- Thunderbirds Close 2018-19 Season with Three-Game Weekend
- T-Birds to Honor American International College Men's Hockey Team on Friday, April 12