Wolves Caught by Moose
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - C.J. Suess' power-play goal with 3:46 left lifted the Manitoba Moose to a 3-2 victory over the Chicago Wolves on Thursday night at Bell MTS Place.
Forward Lucas Elvenes and defenseman Nic Hague scored for the Wolves (22-21-3-2), who owned a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
Wolves goaltender Oscar Dansk (16-7-2) earned 28 saves, but suffered his first regulation loss since Nov. 29.
Manitoba (22-27-0-0) took the initial lead on forward Danny Moynihan's rebound goal at 15:43 of the first period. He swatted home a loose puck from just outside the crease for his first AHL point.
Elvenes made it 1-1 on the Wolves' only power play of the night at 1:24 of the second. Defenseman Jimmy Schuldt worked the puck to Elvenes atop the left circle. With Ben Jones blocking goaltender Eric Comrie's vision, Elvenes whistled a low shot that squirted past Comrie.
The Wolves seized the lead on Hague's first goal of the year at 4:55 of the second. Hague collected an Elvenes pass in the defensive zone, charged down the left wing, executed a pull and drag to squeeze between two Moose and placed a wrister perfectly into the top corner of the net.
The Moose forged a 2-2 tie on Michael Spacek's rebound goal at 14:00 of the second. Kristian Reichel fired a shot wide from the left faceoff circle, but it banged off the back boards directly to Spacek on the right side and he took advantage of an open net.
Wolves defenseman Jake Bischoff was assessed a tripping penalty with 4:06 to play - and Manitoba needed just 20 seconds to take advantage. Kristian Vesalainen's centering pass was redirected perfectly by Suess as the power forward surged through the slot.
Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson pulled goaltender Oscar Dansk with 1:50 left to get an extra attacker on the ice. The Wolves swarmed Comrie, but couldn't find the equalizer.
Comrie (7-6-0) finished with 25 saves in the win.
The Wolves and Moose meet again at 7 p.m. Friday, then Chicago kicks off a four-game homestand on Thursday, Feb. 13, against the Milwaukee Admirals. For tickets to that Craft Beer Night, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2020
- Wolves Caught by Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Condors Throw It Back with Fog Jerseys, $2 Beers, and $1 Hot Dogs Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Forward Jonny Brodzinski and Lauren Brodzinski Celebrate Birth of their First Child - San Jose Barracuda
- Third Annual Great Skate Happens Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Blackhawks Night and Sock Monkey Madness Highlight Weekend Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- San Diego Gulls Announce Three-Year Partnership with Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego Gulls
- Five Memorable Games at CAA Arena - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Re-Assign Defenseman Jack Ramsey to Indy Fuel - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Recall Artem Ivanyuzhenkov and Reassign Andrew Shortridge - San Jose Barracuda
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Matt Bartkowski from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Flames Recall Brandon Davidson - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Recall Robbie Russo from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Amerks Renew Partnership with Seneca Park Zoo Society for "Defend the Ice Month" - Rochester Americans
- Andy Andreoff Recalled by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Ink Kyle Cumiskey to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Blue Jackets Recall Three Players from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Kirill Ustimenko Reassigned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hayton Scores In Debut, Prosvetov Stellar But Tucson Falls To Open Gem Show Road Trip - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Spilled 4-2 by Gulls - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Double up San Jose, 4-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Start Fast in 4-2 Win in Front of 7,090 - Bakersfield Condors
- First Line Shines, Rocket Beat Comets 5-4 in OT - Laval Rocket
- Defense Shines in Wild's 4-0 Win against Rampage - Iowa Wild
- LA Kings Recall Cal Petersen from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Stumble against Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Kahkonen, Wild Silence Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Downers Grove Man Wins Chicago Wolves' Sprint Power Play Payday Contest
- Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 Season Canceled
- Chicago Wolves to Relive 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs Run
- Jake Bischoff Earns Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award
- Oscar Dansk Named Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 AHL Man of the Year