What's the Rush?
Rush Stat Leaders
- Goals - Kyle Stroh - 3
- Assists - Joey Sides and Winston Day Chief - 4
- Points - Joey Sides and Winston Day Chief - 5
- Plus/Minus - Brandon Martell - +3
- PIM - J.P. Chabot - 17
The Upcoming Week
RAPID CITY RUSH (2-1-1, 5 Pts-1st Central Division) VS QUAD CITY MALLARDS (1-1-0, 2 Pts-T-3rd Central Division)
Tuesday October 28th, 6:35 p.m. MST at Premier Home Mortgage Ice in Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
RAPID CITY RUSH VS ALLEN AMERICANS (1-1-0, 2 Pts-T-3rd Central Division)
Friday October 31st, 8:05 p.m. MST at Premier Home Mortgage Ice in Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
Saturday November 1st, 7:05 p.m. MST at Premier Home Mortgage Ice in Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
The Week That Was
---October 24th-RAPID CITY RUSH-3, QUAD CITY MALLARDS-0 (RC-D. Battochio-19 SV Shutout)
For the first time since April 16th, the Rapid City Rush and the Quad City Mallards faced off on the ice. The Mallards looked to handle the Rush in their home-opener, playing in their first game in the ECHL, but the Rush had a different plan at the drop of the puck. The Rush dominated the scoreless first period, but with 1:35 remaining in the second frame, Jesse Schultz finished touch passes from Joey Sides and Winston Day Chief to give the Rush a 1-0 lead heading into the third. A bomb of a shot from Kyle Stroh and an insurance goal with less than five minutes to play in the game by Daniel Barczuk helped Danny Battochio seal an outstanding 19-save performance, giving the Rush a 3-0 shutout win.
---October 25th-QUAD CITY MALLARDS-4, RAPID CITY RUSH-3 F/Shootout (QC-J. Perry-GWG in Shootout; RC-W. Day Chief-G and Ast)
On Saturday night, the Rapid City Rush and Quad City Mallards met for the second time in as many nights, with the Rush looking to earn another two points on the road against their bitter opponents. The first period took a different turn as opposed to its Friday night counterpart, with late bounces finding their way behind the goal line. The Rush started off scoring two nights in a row thanks to Winston Day Chief deflecting a Jesse Schultz shot to give the Rush a 1-0 lead. The Mallards would strike twice shortly after, with Joe Perry feverishly hacking at a bouncing puck in front of Danny Battochio's crease, and Garrett Vermeersch banking a negative-angle shot off of Battochio and in, giving the Mallards a 2-1 advantage after 20 minutes of play. Daniel Barczuk would tie the game for the Rush in the second, and Dylan Clarke would give them their first lead of the game early in the third on a power play goal, but Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel would answer with a power play goal of his own, sending the game to overtime and subsequently a shootout. Jesse Schultz got the Rush on the board in the shootout, but it was Garrett Vermeersch and Joe Perry that ended the shootout for the Mallards, giving them their first ECHL victory in a 4-3 win.
Notes and Numbers
Well That Was Fast - It took the Rush just three regular season games, but Danny Battochio earned his first shutout of the season in just his second start last Friday night. To put this in perspective, it took the Rush 56 games last season to earn their one and only shutout of the season, which was a 5-0 win on the road at Tulsa.
Stroh-be Light - With his bomb just 55 seconds into the third period last Friday night, second-year forward Kyle Stroh is the team's leader in Goals with 3. Last season as a rookie, Stroh potted 13 goals in 58 games, which finished 8th-best among rookies in the CHL.
CRUNCHING NUMBERS - Last Weekend vs the Mallards:
- 218:22 - the amount of time it took the Rush to allow a power play goal to start the season. After allowing their lone power play goal of the season, the Rush penalty kill clocks in at 92.85%, good enough for 5th-best in the ECHL.
- 5 - the number of periods of regulation that the Rush have held the Mallards to less than 10 shots. The shooting differential was well in the Rush's favor this last weekend as they outshot the Mallards by a +28 margin (73-45), but it helps to hold the Mallards to less than 10 shots in 5 out of 6 periods played in regulation.
We're Going Streaking! - Entering Tuesday night's rubber-match between the Mallards and Rush, three Rush players are carrying statistical streaks into the game:
Joey Sides - has assists and points in his last four games (G, 4 Ast, 5 Pts)Winston Day Chief - has assists and points in his last four games (G, 4 Ast, 5 Pts)Jesse Schultz - has points in his last four games (2 G, 2 Ast, 4 Pts)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 27, 2014
- Radio Recon Will Take the Fifty Lashes with a Wet Eagle Feather - Reading Royals
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Reign to Wear Desert Camouflage on Military Appreciation Night - Ontario Reign
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Deal for Nelson - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Aqcuire Defenseman Alex Lepkowski - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fanfest Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Make Roster Moves on Monday - Elmira Jackals
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Tyler Shattock Loaned to Worcester - Stockton Thunder
- Road Warriors Deal Lekowski to Missouri - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Home Friday for Halloween, First Saturday Home Game - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 27 - ECHL
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Southorn Comes South to Gwinnett - Atlanta Gladiators
- Missouri Mavericks Weekly Report - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets off to hot start - ECHL
- Road Warriors Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Darling Becomes First Thunder Player to Reach NHL - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Streak to 10-Point Start, Wings Invade for Halloween Friday and Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- IceMen Trade Defensemen Antoine Corbin - Evansville IceMen
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers and Solar Bears Announce Game Date Change - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears vs. Tulsa Game Date Moved to Saturday, January 17 - Orlando Solar Bears
- What's the Rush? - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Weekly: over 5,000 Fans Celebrate Stingrays Opening Night; Halloween and Turn Back the Clo - South Carolina Stingrays
- Scott Darling Makes NHL Debut - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.