Komets Streak to 10-Point Start, Wings Invade for Halloween Friday and Saturday
Fort Wayne, IN-- The Komets remain unbeaten after the second week of the 2014-15 campaign, improving to 5-0-0 for 10 points and lead the ECHL after five games. It's the first time Fort Wayne has opened the season with five straight wins since 2008. The Komets all-time record for the longest win streak to start a season is eight games set in 1978.
In review -- The Komets began their busy weekend of three games in three nights by clipping the Wings in Kalamazoo Friday night 3-2 in overtime. The game was highlighted with the Komets' first penalty shot of the season, awarded to right wing Matthew Pistilli, who was stopped by Kalamazoo goaltender Joel Martin. Forward Shawn Szydlowski logged a pair of goals, including the game winner in overtime, and added an assist for a three-point evening.
Saturday the Komets upended the Mavericks from Missouri 6-2 at the Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne in front of 8,113. Left wing Mike Embach led the K's with a goal and two assists for a three-point night. Netminder Pat Nagle earned his fourth straight win stopping 20 of 22 shots and completed the week with an ECHL best 4-0-0. After two home games Fort Wayne has averaged an ECHL-high attendance of 8,451. Center Thomas Frazee and defenseman Cody Sol netted their first goals of the season.
Sunday the Komets stopped the Fuel at Indy 4-0. Goaltender Francois Tremblay earned the shutout in his pro debut stopping all 21 shots while Pistilli netted the first goal of the game and assisted on the next two for a three-point outing. Center Nathan Condon posted his first pro goal and added another for a two-goal performance.
Leaders of the week -- Pistilli led the Komets with +5 for the week....Pistilli, Embach and Szydlowski each led with two goals and three assists.....Pistilli ranks second in the ECHL with four goals, eight points and +7 overall....Tremblay topped out at a 0.00 goals-against average and 1.000 save percentage for the week with his pro debut shutout Sunday at Indy.
The week ahead-- The Komets are home for a Halloween double-header weekend against the Kalamazoo Wings. The division rival Wings visit Friday at 8pm and again Saturday night at 7:30 for their first and second visits out of six this season. The Komets lead the season series 1-0-0 after last Friday's 3-2 overtime win at Kalamazoo in the first of 15 meetings this season. Friday and Saturday's games are the only games scheduled for both teams this week. Kalamazoo is 3-1-1 after their first five games and trail the Komets in second place with seven points in the North Division. The Wings are riding a four-game unbeaten streak in regulation (3-0-1).
Boo! Halloween Costume Parade on Ice Friday night and KIDS SEAT FREE NIGHT -- In honor of Halloween, the Komets are inviting all little ghosts and goblins to be part of the Halloween Parade On Ice Friday night during the first intermission. Prizes will be awarded to those best in costume. Also, Friday night is the first Kids Seat Free Night of the season, courtesy Aunt Millie's, Parkview Health and the Komets. Any child under the age of 12 can see the game for free with a full-priced adult ticket purchase.
Friday night Marathon Night -- The Komets continue to provide affordable ticket options this year with the Marathon Fill-Up Card for all Friday night games during the regular season. Fans can earn a buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer with the purchase of three fill-ups at any participating Marathon location. The next Marathon Fill-Up Card Friday Night is this Friday when the Komets host Kalamazoo at 8pm.
Tickets on sale -- Komet hockey single game tickets and season tickets for 2014-15 are on sale now. Single game tickets can be purchased at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at TicketMaster.com . Season Tickets are on sale at the Komet office, 1010 Memorial Way, in Fort Wayne. For information visit www.komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
Komet Hockey on WOWO Radio and OmniSource Radio Recycle on the web -- Bob Chase is celebrating his 62nd season behind the Komet microphone. Most Komet games are broadcast on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 92.3 and can be heard worldwide on the web at Komets.com presented by OmniSource Radio Recycle . However, this Saturday's home game against Kalamazoo will be broadcast on radio at ESPN WKJG AM 1380 and WFGA FM 106.7
Sound Off with the Komets on 21Alive Monday nights -- The Komets, 21Alive and SportONE/Parkview Icehouse present Sound Off with the Komets, a live weekly telecast each Monday night at 7:30. The show airs on WPTA TV 21Alive from the SportONE/Parkview Icehouse, 3869 Ice Way in Fort Wayne, featuring highlights, interviews and call-ins. Komet players and personnel will serve as co-hosts with 21Alive's Tommy Schoegler. Tonight, Monday, Oct. 27, Komet goaltender Pat Nagle will be Tommy's guest. All Komet fans are welcome to attend.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 27, 2014
- Radio Recon Will Take the Fifty Lashes with a Wet Eagle Feather - Reading Royals
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Reign to Wear Desert Camouflage on Military Appreciation Night - Ontario Reign
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Deal for Nelson - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Aqcuire Defenseman Alex Lepkowski - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fanfest Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Make Roster Moves on Monday - Elmira Jackals
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Tyler Shattock Loaned to Worcester - Stockton Thunder
- Road Warriors Deal Lekowski to Missouri - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Home Friday for Halloween, First Saturday Home Game - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 27 - ECHL
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Southorn Comes South to Gwinnett - Atlanta Gladiators
- Missouri Mavericks Weekly Report - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets off to hot start - ECHL
- Road Warriors Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Darling Becomes First Thunder Player to Reach NHL - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Streak to 10-Point Start, Wings Invade for Halloween Friday and Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- IceMen Trade Defensemen Antoine Corbin - Evansville IceMen
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers and Solar Bears Announce Game Date Change - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears vs. Tulsa Game Date Moved to Saturday, January 17 - Orlando Solar Bears
- What's the Rush? - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Weekly: over 5,000 Fans Celebrate Stingrays Opening Night; Halloween and Turn Back the Clo - South Carolina Stingrays
- Scott Darling Makes NHL Debut - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Announce Playoff Roster
- Komets Eye Playoff Berth; Final Week Features Four Games
- Komets Clip Walleye 2-1 in OT; Wings Visit Wednesday, Mavs Here Saturday
- Komets Ink Trio to Roster; Host Cyclones Tonight
- Komets Sweep Beast for Four Points; Wings Here Wednesday, Cyclones Blow into Town Friday