Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win
DAYTON, Ohio - Ryan Weathers threw 5 2/3 innings of two-run ball, while Fort Wayne's offense banged out five extra-base hits in an 8-4 victory over the Dayton Dragons on a pleasant Tuesday night at Fifth Third Field.
With the first pitch temperature at 75 degrees on a sunny evening, the ball carried to the tune of four combined homers on the night.
It was the Dragons (4-8) who went deep first, with their center fielder Mariel Bautista leading off the home first inning with a solo fly to left-center. But the TinCaps (8-5) responded in a big way in the top of the third. 'Caps center fielder Jawuan Harris, who was on base via a walk, scored from third base on a wild pitch issued by Dayton starter Jhon De Jesus with two outs. Left fielder Grant Little added an RBI single that gave Fort Wayne a lead it wouldn't relinquish. Catcher Blake Hunt followed with a no-doubt two-run homer to left-center field that made it 4-1. That was his first homer as a TinCap.
In the top of the fourth, third baseman Luis Almanzar led off with a solo home run - his third in 11 games this season (he hit two in 63 Midwest League games last year) - to increase the advantage to 5-1.
Weathers allowed a solo shot to Bren Spillane in the home fourth that brought the Dragons back to within three runs. However, that was as close as they'd get against the 19-year-old left-hander. The top-10 Padres prospect used his fastball-changeup-slider combination to strike out five over his 80 pitches.
Little, who finished with a team-high three hits, provided an RBI double in the fifth, boosting the lead back to four at 6-2.
In the seventh, Hunt picked up his third RBI of the night with a fielder's choice groundout. An inning later, Harris collected an RBI in the same fashion.
Dayton scored two runs for naught in the bottom of the ninth.
Tom Colletti followed Weathers with 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief. Prior to some hiccups in the ninth, Carlos Belen had a 1-2-3 eighth that included a pair of strikeouts with his slider that complements a mid-90s fastball.
Wednesday, April 17 @ Dayton (7 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Dragons Probable Starter: RHP Shane Marinan
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 25 at South Bend (Game 20)
- TinCaps Seek Nominees for Military Salutes in 2019
- Hunt Homers, But Fort Wayne Drops the Series Finale
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 24 vs. Bowling Green (Game 19)
- TinCaps Continue Military Appreciation Night in 2019