Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss
GENEVA, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (7-5) were held scoreless over the final 10 innings in a, 3-2, 11-inning loss against the Burlington Bees (8-4) on Monday night. The Cougars loss broke a tie with the Bees for first place in the Western Division standings.
In the first inning, Tra Holmes set the table with a lead-off walk. He advanced to second on Geraldo Perdomo's single. Two batters later, Andy Yerzy blasted a single up the middle to drive in the game's first run. The Cougars made it a 2-0 lead on Zac Almond's sacrifice fly.
Burlington answered back in the top of the second inning. Nonie Williams reached base with a one-out walk then stole second base. Gleyvin Pineda was the next to the plate. He hit a grounder into the shift on the right side of the infield. Cougar second basemen Brandon Leyton ranged to his right to make the play, but airmailed his throw to first, allowing Williams to score and cut the Cougar lead to 2-1.
Pitching dominated the middle innings. Jackson Goddard settled in to throw 4.1 innings of one-run (none earned) ball for the Cougars. Bees' starter Hector Yan didn't allow a run over the final four innings of his start. Andy Toelken did his part in relief for the Cougars, limiting Burlington to no runs on one hit over 3.2 innings. The Cougars turned to Chester Pimentel in the ninth. With two outs and the tying run at third base, Pimentel allowed a bloop single to Connor Fitzsimons, tying the game at 2-2 and sending it to extras.
After neither team scored in the 10th, Blake Workman pitched the 11th for the Cougars. Gleyvin Pineda singled with one out to drive in the eventual winning run, handing Workman (0-1) and the Cougars the loss.
Jose Soriano (1-1) came out of the Burlington pen to toss five scoreless innings for the Bees, ultimately earning the win. Ben Morrison (2) went 1-2-3 in the 11th to notch the save.
The Cougars and Bees square off in game two of the three-game series Tuesday afternoon. Cougar starter Ryan Weiss (0-1, 2.57) opposes Bees' right-hander Cole Duensing (1-0, 1.08). First pitch is scheduled for noon. Fans can run the bases postgame, presented by Sonic Drive-In. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.