Cougars Drop Third Straight
GENEVA, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (7-6) lost a 6-3 decision against the Burlington Bees (9-4) on Tuesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. Former Cougar Alexis Olmeda drove in the eventual game-winning run with a single in the 7th inning.
The Cougars and Bees exchanged a pair of runs in the second inning. After an error by Cougar third baseman Eddie Hernandez put Spencer Griffin at second base, Gleyvin Pineda knocked in the game's first run with a single. The Cougars evened the score on an RBI double by Brandon Leyton in the bottom half of the second.
The Cougars took a brief lead in the bottom of the third. Andy Yerzy started the frame with a single and advanced to third when the next batter, Zac Almond, doubled to left. L.T. Tolbert stepped in and delivered a sacrifice fly to push the Cougars ahead, 2-1. Two hits and two sacrifices gave the Bees the advantage in the fourth. Spencer Griffin singled, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt, then scored on a throwing error by Cougar center fielder Alek Thomas. Alex Olmeda broke the tie in the fourth with a sacrifice fly.
Alek Thomas left the yard for the first time in the bottom of the fifth, a solo shot to tie the game, 3-3. The game remained tied until Olmeda's RBI single in the seventh drove in Gleyvin Pineda. The Bees added two runs in the eighth, highlighted by Kevin Maitan's solo homer.
Cougar starter Ryan Weiss took no decision. He allowed three runs (one earned) in five innings. Reliever Ryan Miller (0-2) took the loss. Miller surrendered three runs in 2.1 innings. Robinson Pina (2-0) provided five innings of one-run ball out of the Bees bullpen to earn the win.
The Cougars and Bees close the three-game series and the Cougars' six-game homestand on Wednesday. Cougar starter Justin Lewis (0-1, 5.14) opposes Bees' left-hander Luis Alvarado (0-1, 3.86). First pitch is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Fans can run the bases postgame, presented by Sonic Drive-In. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season