Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - On a 71-degree night at Four Winds Field, the Great Lakes Loons used their best offensive inning of the season to beat the South Bend Cubs by a final score of 9-4. The win evens the current three-game series and makes the Loons 3-1 on their current five-game road trip.
Cubs starter Derek Casey faced one batter above the minimum through four innings before the wheels fell off entirely in the fifth. The Loons scored all six of their runs with two outs in four consecutive at-bats. Hunter Feduccia started the onslaught with a two-RBI triple off Casey (L, 0-1). Jacob Amaya followed Feduccia with an RBI-double, then Romer Cuadrado drove in one run on a single. Drew Avans punctuated the inning with a two-run blast to right field - his first home run of the season.
South Bend scored first on a fielder's choice in the third inning and took a 2-0 lead on an RBI-double by Tyler Durna in the fourth. Jonathan Sierra hit a two-run home run in the eighth inning to bring the Cubs within four runs. The home run by Sierra was the first long back of the year for the Cubs team as a whole. Chicago's Single-A club was the last in all of Minor League Baseball without a home run this season.
On the mound, the Loons got five innings from their starter Andre Jackson and four innings from piggyback starter Jose Martinez. Jackson (W, 1-1) allowed two runs on four hits and two walks. Jackson, a 2017 draft pick out of Utah by the Dodgers, becomes the second Loons starter to earn a winning decision this season. Martinez (S, 1) ceded two runs on four hits and zero walks in his second career save.
Wednesday's series finale marks the end of the first extended road trip of the season for the Loons. Game three against South Bend is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT with radio pregame coverage beginning at 6:35 on ESPN 100.9-FM. The Loons send right-hander Josiah Gray (0.93 ERA) to the mound. Gray pitched a perfect five innings against the Cubs in his last start. South Bend counters with Major League rehabber Mike Montgomery who has a 16.88 ERA in four outings with the Chicago Cubs this season.
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Dodgers Minor League Affiliate Plans to Include Loons
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled