Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win
Peoria, IL - Leandro Cedeno gave the Peoria Chiefs their first walk off win of the season as he singled home Lars Nootbaar with the bases loaded and two outs in the ninth for a 2-1 win over the Clinton LumberKings Tuesday night. The Chiefs improve to 5-7 and look to take the series finale Wednesday at 12:05 p.m.
For the second night in a row, the LumberKings jumped out to an early lead. With two outs in the top of the second, Bubba Hollins hit a solo home run off Chiefs starter Tommy Parsons, which was the first run Parsons surrendered in his 14 2/3 innings pitched this season.
Peoria broke through against Chris Vallimont in the bottom of the fifth. Cedeno tied the game at one when he blasted his first homerun of the season to right field to lead off the inning.
The Chiefs walked off in the ninth after loading the bases with two outs, Nootbaar and Brandon Riley started the inning with a pair of singles to put runners on first and second with no outs. After two strikeouts, Brendan Donovan walked to load the bases, and Cedeno hit a hard line drive over the shortstop's head to score Nootbaar from third and give the Chiefs their first walkoff win of the season.
Parsons took the no decision as he pitched eight strong innings, with a career-high eight strikeouts, while allowing only one run on four hits. Sebastian Tabata (1-0) entered in the ninth and pitched a perfect inning, while notching one strikeout.
The Chiefs conclude the three-game set with Clinton, Wednesday at 12:05 p.m. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. The Chiefs will start RH Alvaro Seijas (1-1, 3.24) against Clinton RH Humberto Mejia (1-0, 1.29). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 11:50 a.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game will also be available to watch on MiLB.TV for subscribers. Contact: Nathan Baliva Ph: 309.680.4018 Fax: 309.680.4080 [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff