LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight
PEORIA, IL - A five-run third inning was the difference in a Clinton LumberKings 8-7 win on Saturday night at Dozer Park. Jerar Encarnacion, Bubba Hollins, Demetrius Sims, and Thomas Jones each had multi-hit games as the LumberKings (5-5) combined to register 13 for the night - a new season high.
Clinton wasted not time in scoring the game's first runs. Connor Scott opened the game with a 10-pitch walk against Chiefs (4-7) starter Dionis Zamora. Two batters later, Jerar Encarnacion followed with a two-run home to left that cleared the berm for his third of the year.
Thomas Jones added another run for Clinton with the first of his two RBI singles in the top of the second inning.
Leading 3-0, LumberKings starter Alberto Guerrero allowed four of his five runs in the bottom of the second. Delvin Perez scored the first run of the inning with an RBI single and was followed two batters later by a Brandon Riley three-run double to center that gave the Chiefs a brief one-run lead - 4-3.
The large Peoria rally was answered immediately by Clinton in the top of the third. Zamora (0-2), allowed six hits in the inning, three for doubles, and was hung with the loss for his 2.2 innings of work. Jerar Encarnacion, Will Banfield, and Bubba Hollins, all had run scoring doubles with Encarnacion's driving in his third run of the game.
Guerrero (1-0) settled down following the 4-run second to work five innings for the LumberKings and earn his first win of the year. He struck out five during his time out and walked none.
Manuel Rodriguez was the only other pitcher used by Clinton and earned the save for a four-inning outing. Both of Rodriguez runs allowed came on a two-run home run from Peoria's nine-hitter by Wadye Ynfante in the bottom of the sixth.
Following the home run, Rodriguez did not allow a Chief past first and worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth to preserve the LumberKings third straight win and first winning streak of the 2019 season.
The LumberKings will meet the Peoria Chiefs for the second game of a three-game series starting on Tuesday night. Clinton will throw right-handed pitcher Chris Vallimont (0-1, 1.80) while Peoria will counter with righty Tommy Parsons (2-0, 0.00). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:20 p.m. with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th