Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - For the second straight night, a late-inning rally off West Michigan Whitecaps pitching enabled the Lansing Lugnuts to take a 5-2 victory on Tuesday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Monday's 6-2 Whitecaps loss saw Lansing power for four runs in the tenth inning, but on Tuesday, the Lugnuts broke through in the seventh as Lansing produced three runs to break a 2-2 tie. Both teams put up single runs in both the third and fourth innings. Whitecaps starter Kacey Murphy gave up three hits and two runs through the first four frames in his second start of 2019. John Valente touched up Lugnuts starter Joey Murray for an RBI-single in the third, and Avery Tuck followed with a run-scoring single an inning later to even the game at two. The score remained tied until Lansing used a solo home run by Hagen Danner and a two-run single by Jordan Groshans off "Caps reliever Sandel De La Cruz to take a 5-2 lead. Reece Hampton and Jordan Pearce worked two-out walks in the eighth inning, but Lansing reliever Marcus Reyes struck out Nick Ames to end the potential rally.
Murray (2-1) took the win in the longest start of his professional career, recording eight strikeouts and scattering four hits in seven impressive frames. De La Cruz (0-1) gave up three earned runs in two innings of work and absorbed the loss. Murphy pitched 4.2 innings, giving up three hits, only one earned run, three walks and four strikeouts for the Whitecaps. Drew Crosby worked 2.1 innings, struck out four and threw 55 pitches in relief for the "Caps, the most ever in his 44 career minor league games. Connor Law worked a scoreless ninth and struck out the side around taking a line drive off his chest during an infield single by Parker Meadows to earn his first save of the season. With only five hits in the loss, the West Michigan bats are now hitting .201 as a team in the four-game homestand. With their fourth straight defeat, the Whitecaps record stands at 5-7 while Lansing moves to .500 with a 6 -6 record.
The Whitecaps series against the Lansing Lugnuts at Fifth Third Ballpark concludes Wednesday at 12:00 pm. Pitcher Adam Wolf makes the start for West Michigan against Lugnuts pitcher Joey Murray. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 11:50 am. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.