Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Strong offensive performances by Trey Cabbage and Jacob Pearson along with a quality start from Blayne Enlow led the Cedar Rapids Kernels to an 11-2 triumph Tuesday against the Quad Cities River Bandits at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (5-8) and Quad Cities (7-5) are now tied at 1-1 in a three-game series that was originally scheduled to be played at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport, Iowa before flooding forced a venue change.
Cabbage finished a double shy of hitting for the cycle and tallied a career-high five runs batted in. He broke a scoreless deadlock with a three-run home run in the third inning to secure his Midwest League-high-tying fourth round-tripper this year. His stellar outing also included a two-run triple during the eighth.
Pearson missed the cycle by a triple while hitting safely in his final three at-bats. He homered within the seventh inning and added an RBI single in the eighth to cap the scoring in a four-run rally that stretched Cedar Rapids' lead to 10-2 at that time.
Enlow (2-1) held the River Bandits to two runs including just one earned run during his first quality start of the season. His six innings pitched tied a career high and set a new team season high for longest start.
Following Cabbage's tie-breaking clout within the third inning, both teams plated single runs in the fourth and fifth frames. Cedar Rapids scored six runs over the final three innings to pull away for the victory.
Austin Hansen (1-1) gave up four runs and five hits in three-plus innings pitched and suffered his first loss. Quad Cities yielded a season-high 11 runs and nine walks as a team.
The rubber game between Cedar Rapids and Quad Cities is slated for 6:35 p.m. Wednesday. Kernels right-hander Jordan Balazovic (1-1, 2.79) and River Bandits right-hander Nivaldo Rodriguez (1-0, 1.80) are the probable starters. Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the contest on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Gates will open at 5:30 p.m. for Wednesday's rubber game as part of this special series with the Kernels playing as the visiting team in their home ballpark.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Invited to be a Minnesota Twins Affiliate
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition