Whitecaps Wilt in Extras
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - The first extra-inning game of the 2019 season for the West Michigan Whitecaps did not end favorably as the Lansing Lugnuts took a 6-2 victory in ten innings Monday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
After tying the game in the seventh inning and sending it to extras, Lansing exploded for four tenth-inning runs to seal the victory.
The game opened with solid pitching performances for both starters, as Whitecaps starter Garrett Hill survived a shaky first inning surrendering a single and two walks, but the help of a critical double play helped Hill exit unscathed and would go on to pitch five shutout innings in his second start of 2019. The Whitecaps responded with a Nick Ames RBI-single in the first inning off starter Josh Winckowski to take an early 1-0 lead. The score remained until the "Caps sixth. Two singles and a walk loaded the bases for Jordan Pearce, who coaxed a bases-loaded walk and bump the lead to 2-0. Lansing knotted the contest at two in the seventh and would have taken the lead if not for a strong Whitecaps relay which gunned down Lugnuts infielder Otto Lopez attempting to score from third base. The game moved to the tenth inning, and Lansing wasted no time with three hits and four runs off Caps reliever Yaya Chentouf. Lansing's Dom Abbadessa provided the clincher in that rally with a two-run single to put the game out of reach. West Michigan had scoring opportunities in the game but went only 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position in the loss.
Chentouf (1-1) absorbed his first loss of the year, allowing four hits, two walks, two strikeouts, and three earned runs in two innings of relief. Lansing reliever Will McAffer (1-0) picked up the victory with three stellar relief innings of shutout baseball and only two singles allowed. Despite the no-decision, Hill has pitched ten innings in two starts for West Michigan, allowing just four hits, no runs and tallying 15 strikeouts. Offensively, Lansing outhit West Michigan nine to eight. Jeremiah Burks paced the Whitecaps offense with two singles. With the defeat, the Whitecaps fall for the third straight game of a five-game homestand, while Lansing wins for just the second time in their last six contests. Both teams now sport 5-6 records in 2019.
The Whitecaps series against Lansing Lugnuts at Fifth Third Ballpark continues on Tuesday at 6:35 pm. Pitcher Kacey Murphy makes the start for West Michigan against Lugnuts pitcher Joey Murray. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:25 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.