Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit
BELOIT, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers may have been shutout 3-0 on Monday by the Beloit Snappers, but they came right back to shutout the Snappers 8-0 at Pohlman Field on Tuesday night. Wilfred Salaman tossed the first five innings as the offense blew a close game open with their biggest inning of the season.
Yeison Coca got the Timber Rattlers (6-6) on the board in the first inning. The Wisconsin second baseman singled, stole second, went to third on an error, and scored on a wild pitch for a 1-0 lead.
Salaman caught a break in the bottom of the second inning on a heads up play by shortstop Brice Turang. The Snappers had Logan Farrar on second and Ryan Gridley on first with two outs. Marcos Brito hit a slow grounder to third and the ball went under the glove of third baseman Gabriel García. Turang was over on the grounder and was backing up García. That allowed him to field the ball and race at Farrar, who was trying to get back to third after realizing that he had rounded the bag too far. Turang tagged out Farrar for the final out of the inning.
The Wisconsin left-hander pitched five scoreless innings and worked around four hits, two walks, and an error to pick up his first win of the season.
The Timber Rattlers offense busted the game wide open in the top of the sixth inning by scoring six runs. Coca started the rally with a one-out single. The next two Rattlers drew walks to load the bases. García drew the third walk in a row and forced in Coca for a 2-0 lead.
Je'Von Ward gave the Rattlers even more breathing room by lining a double to right that scored two runs and Wisconsin was up 4-0.
LG Castillo followed with a sacrifice fly. Then, Connor McVey and Turang capped the inning with back-to-back RBI singles to make it 7-0.
Ward drove in the final run of the game with a fielder's choice in the seventh to give him three RBI in the contest.
A trio of Wisconsin relievers closed out the shutout of the Snappers (5-7). Logan Gillaspie worked around two hits in two innings with a double play and a strikeout. Tyler Gillies, who joined the team earlier in the day, walked two and struck out two in the eighth inning. Chad Whitmer tossed a 1-2-3 ninth inning to secure the win.
The Rattlers hitters took advantage of seven walks by Beloit pitching in the game to even up the three-game series.
The rubber game of the series is Wednesday night. Aaron Ashby (0-1, 7.00) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Bryce Conley (0-0, 3.00) is set to start for the Snappers. First pitch is set for 6:30pm. The broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:10pm.
R H E
WIS 100 006 100 - 8 7 1
BEL 000 000 000 - 0 6 2
Click here for Tuesday's Boxscore
WP: Wilfred Salaman (1-2)
LP: Adam Reuss (0-2)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale