Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss
PEORIA, IL - Pitching ruled on Tuesday night at Dozer Park and came to an end with the Clinton LumberKings walked-off in a 2-1 loss to the Peoria Chiefs. LumberKings (5-6) starter Chris Vallimont turned in the strongest start of the year to date with seven innings of one run ball but was given a no decision for his time out.
Chiefs (5-7) starter Tommy Parsons matched Vallimont with a stellar start of his own that resulted in the quickest played game of the year - two hours and 13 minutes. Parsons too was given a no decision for his time out but turned in eight innings while scattering four hits and allowing just one run.
Both starting pitchers controlled the strike zone during their outings combing to allow no walks over their combined15 innings of work. Parsons struck out eight and had just one blemish on the night.
The LumberKings broke the scoreless tie in the top of the second inning. After the first five LumberKings batters of the game were retired, Bubba Hollins lined a solo home run to left - his first of the year - to put Clinton in front 1-0.
Vallimont's only blemish over his seven innings of work came in the bottom of the fifth. Leandro Cedeno battled the LumberKings starter for seven pitches before taking the eighth pitch of the at-bat out to right to tie the game at one.
Clinton's struggles at the plate continued against Parsons' replacement Sebastian Tabata (1-0). The righty worked a 1-2-3 top of the ninth and was credited with his first win of the year for his work.
Alex Vesia came on to pitch the ninth for the LumberKings and immediately ran into trouble after allowing back-to-back leadoff singles. Vesia (1-1) struck out the next two batters before walking Brendan Donavan to load the bases. Cedeno followed and ended the game with a single over shortstop for the walk-off win.
The loss for Clinton snaps their first winning streak of the year at three games and is their first walk-off loss of 2019.
The LumberKings will meet the Peoria Chiefs for the finale of their three-game series on Wednesday afternoon. Clinton will throw right-handed pitcher Humberto Mejia (1-0, 1.29) while Peoria will counter with righty Alvaro Seijas (1-1, 3.24). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 11:50 a.m. with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th