Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes
About Last Night... Lake County took a lead one pitch into last night's game as Jose Fermin took Easton McGee's first delivery of the night over the left field wall, but that would be the last lead of the night for the Captains. In the bottom of the first, the Hot Rods exploded for six runs, as Chris Betts provided the key blow with a three-run homer, his first of the season. Bowling Green chased Lake County starter Luis Oviedo in the opening frame after the righty recorded just two outs. The Hot Rods tacked on another run in the second, sustaining another Lake County home run in a two-run third. Hopkinsville, Kentucky-native Easton McGee kept the Captains at bay over 5.0 innings of three-run ball and earned the win in his homecoming as the offense tacked on five runs over the seventh and eighth inning in cruising to a 12-5 victory to open up the series.
Yesterdays Notes... Bowling Green scored at least ten runs for the second time this season (last time: 4/7 vs. Dayton)...The six runs scored in the first inning are the most by the Hot Rods in any inning this season...Chris Betts set a career high with four RBIs, also the most driven in by a Bowling Green batter this sea- son...Bryce Brown collected his second straight multi-hit game...Connor Hollis picked up his first three-hit game of the season...The Hot Rods move to 4-0 in series openers this season... They are 2-5 in all other games...Easton McGee earned his first win of the season, becoming the first Hot Rods starting pitcher to earn a win since Caleb Sampen on April 7...The Hot Rods are 87-68 all-time vs. Lake County, 50-29 at Bowling Green Ballpark.
Offensive Breakout... After being shut out for the third time this season in the middle game against Ft. Wayne, the Hot Rod bats have awoken. On Monday, Bowling Green scored 12 runs on 13 hits, both totals being the second-highest recorded by the Hot Rods this season. With the offensive boost, the Hot Rods now sit at fourth in the Midwest League with a .246 batting average. The Hot Rods also are tied for second with 96 hits and have swiped 19 bases, the second-most in the MWL. Overall, that adds up to 53 runs scored, which currently ranks sixth.
Home Cookin'... The Hot Rods improved to 4-2 at Bowling Green Ballpark this sea- son, including a 3-1 mark in the current six-game home stand. The Hot Rods also improved to 50-29 against Lake County at home, marking the first time that
the Hot Rods have defeated one opponent 50 times at Bowling Green Ballpark. Last night also served as a homecoming of sorts for pitcher Easton McGee, a native of nearby Hopkinsville, Kentucky. The former Hopkinsville Tiger did not disappoint in his first-ever appearance on the mound at Bowling Green Ballpark, allowing three runs in 5.0 innings and earning the win.
Punching Them Out...Hot Rods pitching set down nine hitters on strikes last night, just missing a third consecutive game with double-digit strikeouts. On the season, Bowling Green pitching has set down 130 batters on strikes in just 102.0 innings (11.47 K/9), second in the Midwest League to Quad Cities, who have struck out 147.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Hot Rods and Legends Announce 2020 Exhibition in Lexington, KY
- Hot Rods Announce Second-Annual Charity Dinner and Silent Auction
- Hot Rods to Join Copa de la Diversion as Bolidos
- Hot Rods Will Host 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game at Bowling Green Ballpark