Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons
South Bend, IN: In their second series of the young 2019 season, the South Bend Cubs and Great Lakes Loons opened their three-game set with a shootout of a game. South Bend used the gaps and corners to their advantage, while Great Lakes lived by the long ball. In the end, the Cubs held on and took game one 6-5.
It was the Niko Hulsizer game for the Loons. The big, powerful right handed hitter out of Morehead State exploded with a three-home run game against the Cubs. All three round trippers were no doubters. Hulsizer hit one off of starter Brailyn Marquez, who pitched four innings of two run baseball. Piggyback starter Faustino Carrera allowed the next two on lasers into left field.
Despite the Hulsizer power, South Bend got their work done with patience and clutch hits. D.J. Artis was on base four total times in the leadoff spot with a pair of hits and two walks. Before exiting the game with an injury, Nelson Velazquez also had two hits. The 20-year-old from Puerto Rico is now hitting .366 on the season.
The difference in the game was Tyler Durna's two doubles. Durna, who now has 14 hits in 11 games, faced a two-strike count in the bottom of the 7th inning. With two runners on, Durna choked up on the bat and fired a ball into left field down the line. The key base hit scored two and put the Cubs up 6-4.
In his best game of the year so far, Delvin Zinn punched two singles into the outfield for a 2/4 night and a run scored.
Great Lakes added one more run, but Ethan Roberts shut the door in the top of the 9th inning with the tying run in scoring position. For the 2018 fourth-round pick Roberts, he picked up his third save of the season. With the victory, the Cubs improve to 6-5 on the season.
South Bend will go for the series win tomorrow night against the Loons with first pitch at 7:05 p.m.
According to multiple sources, Chicago Cubs left-handed pitcher Mike Montgomery is expected to make a rehab appearance at Four Winds Field and pitch two innings for the South Bend Cubs tomorrow night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2020 Weekly Promotional Schedule
- Cubs Food Feud Final Five Voting Now Open
- South Bend Cubs Single Game Tickets on Sale March 11
- Register Now for the 2020 Meijer Baseball Academy
- South Bend Cubs Prepare for Upcoming Season with Call for Fan Photos