Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs
South Bend, IN: Everything was looking up for the South Bend Cubs after four innings of play at Four Winds Field on Tuesday night. Looking for their third straight win, the Cubs led 2-0 and had the momentum against John Shoemaker's team. Derek Casey was about to be in line for his first professional win, but a six run 5th inning by Great Lakes flipped the script. The Loons took game two of three by a final of 9-4.
South Bend's offense came out hot right out of the gates with three consecutive hits in the 4th inning. Jonathan Sierra and Tyler Durna both doubled. For Durna, it was his third double in two games.
That's when things took a turn for the worse. Casey started the 5th inning with a bang with a strikeout looking of Dan Robinson. That was followed by two singles, a triple, two doubles, and a home run. The Loons rallied with two outs to score all six runs. Unfortunately for Casey, he took the loss in a game where he was one out away from being in line for his first win.
The Cubs attempted to rally in the later innings, as they picked up two more runs thanks to the team's first home run of 2019. Sierra belted a high drive over the right field wall off of the 1st Source Bank Performance Center. The big, tall lefty trotted around the bases for his first-round tripper.
The Cubs bullpen kept things relatively close. Former Atlanta Braves prospects Ryan Lawlor and Dalton Geekie worked three innings out of the bullpen, giving up a combined three runs. Lawlor's curveball was extremely effective. The lefty struck out four Loons hitters.
With the loss, the Cubs are back to .500 on the campaign with a 6-6 record. South Bend may have the help of a Chicago Cub in the rubber match tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Per multiple sources, it is expected that Mike Montgomery will make a rehab appearance with the South Bend Cubs tomorrow.
If Montgomery pitches, he will become the sixth Chicago Cub to have rehabbed in South Bend. Cam Sanders is the expected piggyback pitcher tomorrow night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2020 Weekly Promotional Schedule
- Cubs Food Feud Final Five Voting Now Open
- South Bend Cubs Single Game Tickets on Sale March 11
- Register Now for the 2020 Meijer Baseball Academy
- South Bend Cubs Prepare for Upcoming Season with Call for Fan Photos