TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (7-5) @ Dayton Dragons (4-7)
LHP Ryan Weathers vs. RHP Jhon De Jesus
Tuesday, April 16 - Fifth Third Field (Dayton, OH) - 7:00 PM (Game 13 / 140)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
MONDAY NIGHT: The TinCaps fell to the Dragons, 4-0. It was the first time this season the 'Caps were shut out. Dayton scored a pair of unearned runs in the first inning and added 2 more insurance runs in the eighth. TinCaps starter Angel Acevedo had a quality start with 6 innings and a career-high 7 strikeouts against 0 walks and only 4 hits allowed. This was also the first time in 2019 that Fort Wayne has dropped consecutive games.
BAT BOY BACK: When Ryan Weathers was 8 years old, his father (David Weathers) was a reliever for the Reds. David made 2 rehab appearances with the Dragons at Fifth Third Field on May 2 and May 3 against the Burlington Bees. Ryan served as a bat boy for the Dragons during those games. MLB.com now has Ryan as a Top 10 Padres prospect and a Top 90 prospect overall. See Page 3 for more on Ryan and his father.
HOOTON NO-HITTER: On this day in 1972, former TinCaps pitching coach Burt Hooton threw a no-hitter for the Cubs against the Phillies at Wrigley Field. Hooton spent the last 6 years as Fort Wayne's pitching coach. He was set to return this year, however, off-season knee surgery has sidelined him.
MEANWHILE, IN THE FORT: The 6th Annual Parkview Sports Medicine High School Baseball Series started on Monday at Parkview Field. There are 5 dates of double-headers featuring 20 area schools. Today at 4:30, Snider takes on South Side. At 7, it's Wawasee and Whitko. The action continues May 7-9.
STREAKING: There are 11 players in the MWL who've reached base safely in each of their first 10 games this season and 3 of them are TinCaps outfielders in Grant Little, Agustin Ruiz, and Dwanya Williams-Sutton.
LEAGUE LEADERS: The TinCaps lead the Midwest League in runs scored with 60, averaging 5 per game.
INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE LEADERS: Infielder Xavier Edwards is 2nd in Stolen Bases (6), tied for 2nd in Runs (10) & tied for 5th in Hits (14)... Outfielder Grant Little is tied for 9th in Hits (13)... Catcher Blake Hunt is tied for 5th in Doubles (4)... Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton is tied for 4th in Runs (9)... Infielder Luis Almanzar is tied for 3rd in RBIs (11) & 7th in Home Runs (2)... Outfielder Jawuan Harris is tied for 7th in Runs (8)... Outfielder Agustin Ruiz is tied for 9th in Hits (13), 5th in Doubles (4) & 10th in Batting Average (.351)... Lefty Ryan Weathers ranks 3rd in Strikeouts (17)... Lefty Joey Cantillo is tied for 10th in Strikeouts (14)... Righty Gabe Mosser is 2nd in WHIP (0.50).
200: Anthony Contreras, who's in his 4th season as the team's skipper, won his 200th game as TinCaps manager on Thursday. His win total now stands at 201. The franchise leader in that category is Doug Dascenzo (227, 2007-09). "AC" ranks 3rd, also behind Randy Ready (209, 2004-206).
FOREVER YOUNG: The average age for a TinCaps position player thus far has been 20.1, the youngest in the Midwest League (MWL average: 21.2). The average age for a 'Caps pitcher is 20.8, also the youngest (MWL average: 21.8). Fort Wayne has had the most youthful lineup in the circuit each of the previous 5 years going back to 2014. The TinCaps had the youngest pitching staff in the league in 2016 and ranked tied for 2nd youngest in '18, 2nd youngest in '17, '13, and '12.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall to Captains 4-2 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Weathers' Pitching, Plus Power Leads TinCaps to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Blow out Bandits for 11-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Can't Contain Kernels in 11-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Big 5th Inning Leads to 9-4 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Bats Quiet in 'Caps Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Bounces Back with a Shutout of Their Own at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Danner's Dinger Propels Lugs to Series Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fruitful Fifth Forces Rubber Match - Great Lakes Loons
- Parsons, Cedeno Shine in Chiefs 2-1 Walkoff Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Snapped in Walk-Off Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Dragons Despite Pair of Monstrous Home Runs by Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 16 at Dayton (Game 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Takes 3-2 Victory in 11 Innings - Burlington Bees
- SJHS & South Bend Cubs Team up for Seniors - South Bend Cubs
- Second Helping of Brats Merchandise Available from the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Hulsizer Homers Not Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Score Six Times in First Inning to Pace 12-5 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Ride Past Captains with Six-Run First - Lake County Captains
- Durna's Two Run Double Leads to 6-5 Series Opening Win vs Loons - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Hold on For Third Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Wilt in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Extras Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Fall 8-7 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 25 at South Bend (Game 20)
- TinCaps Seek Nominees for Military Salutes in 2019
- Hunt Homers, But Fort Wayne Drops the Series Finale
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 24 vs. Bowling Green (Game 19)
- TinCaps Continue Military Appreciation Night in 2019