Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis Redbirds earned a late-inning, 6-5 victory over the Gwinnett Stripers on Wednesday afternoon at AutoZone Park.
Tied 5-5 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Memphis got the first two runners aboard via a walk and base hit. After a sacrifice bunt put runners at second and third, reliever Tyler Ferguson recorded a strikeout and got two strikes on Chase Pinder before throwing a wild pitch that scored the runner from third.
Genesis Cabrera (S, 1) sat down the side in the ninth to record his first save with Memphis this season.
The Redbirds led 2-0 early thanks to an RBI single from Luken Baker and a solo home run from Clint Coutler. Jake Marisnick tied the game with a two-run blast in the third inning while Taylor Motter crushed a three-run homer in the fifth to put Gwinnett up 5-2 at the time.
Justin Toerner had the big hit for Memphis, hitting a three-run homer of his own to tie the game in the sixth. Toerner also laid down the sacrifice bunt in the eighth that put the winning run at third.
Kyle Leahy made his Triple-A debut and lasted 3.2 innings in relief. Kodi Whitley (1-0) earned his first win with a scoreless eighth inning in which he struck out the final two batters.
The Memphis Redbirds (70-93) continue their six-game series with the Gwinnett Stripers (66-75) on Thursday, September 22 at AutoZone Park. LHP Matthew Liberatore is slated to start against RHP Mike Soroka. For tickets and more information, fans can call 901-721-6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 21, 2022
- Walk-Off Heroics for Darick Hall - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Top Bulls 13-9, Durham's Division Lead Remains 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Bats Can't Keep up with Nashville, Downed 17-1 on Wednesday Night - Louisville Bats
- Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Home Run Parade Lifts Tides Over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Run Rampant Wednesday, Top Buffalo 7-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- José Buttó Tosses Brilliant Start in Syracuse's 5-0 Win at Worcester on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Santos Spins Seven Scoreless, WooSox Fall 5-0 to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings' Offense Outlasts Bisons for 7-3 Win on Wednesday - Buffalo Bisons
- Stiever to Begin MLB Rehab Stint Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Iowa Takes Game Two with Comeback Win - Iowa Cubs
- Rain Knocks off Game Two After Storm Chasers Game One Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Reach Franchise-Record 12-Game Winning Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Abreu and Ridings Added to SWB Roster on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Saints Struggles on Road Continue, Fall to Indianapolis 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Lose on Late Wild Pitch in Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stiever Set to Begin MLB Rehab Assigment Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Tickets on Sale Thursday for Louisville Live at Slugger Field - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 21 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-73) vs. Indianapolis Indians (72-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 21 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.