Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night
(JACKSONVILLE, FL) -- The Charlotte Knights escaped a jam in the bottom of the ninth inning and held on for a 3-2 win over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp on Wednesday night in game two of the six-game series from 121 Financial Ballpark. With the win, the Knights evened up the series, 1-1.
Charlotte held a 3-0 lead into the ninth, but the Jumbo Shrimp loaded the bases with two outs and threatened to score for the first time all night. Ray-Patrick Didder then connected on a ground-rule double, which scored two runs. With the tying run now on third base and the winning run on second base, LHP Bennett Sousa got Ryan Lavarnway to ground out to end the game. Sousa, who allowed both runs in the inning, notched his sixth save of the season.
RHP Jonathan Stiever began a major league rehab assignment with the Knights on Thursday and started the game for Charlotte. Making his first appearance on a mound since August 12, 2021, Stiever tossed a shutout inning in game two of the series. It was a solid inning for the 25-year-old, who underwent season-ending surgery on his right lat on August 23, 2021.
In relief of Stiever, RHP Kade McClure (4-4, 5.08) tossed three shutout innings en route to his fourth win of the season. He was backed by the Charlotte offense, which combined for three runs and seven hits in the game.
The Knights scored for the first time in the top of the fourth inning thanks to a sacrifice-fly RBI by Blake Rutherford. He drove home Oscar Colás, who singled earlier in the inning. Colás, appearing in just his second career Triple-A game after being promoted from Double-A Birmingham on Tuesday, went 2-for-5.
Charlotte added two more runs in the top of the seventh inning thanks to an RBI single by catcher Nick Ciuffo and an RBI groundout from first baseman Craig Dedelow. Jacksonville RHP Elieser Hernandez (4-3, 3.73) was charged with the loss after he allowed three runs over his six innings pitched.
The two teams will continue the six-game road series from 121 Financial Ballpark in Jacksonville, FL on Thursday night. First pitch is on tap for 7:05 p.m. from the home of the Jumbo Shrimp. Fans can listen to the game on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and www.CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 21, 2022
- Walk-Off Heroics for Darick Hall - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Top Bulls 13-9, Durham's Division Lead Remains 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Bats Can't Keep up with Nashville, Downed 17-1 on Wednesday Night - Louisville Bats
- Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Home Run Parade Lifts Tides Over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Run Rampant Wednesday, Top Buffalo 7-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- José Buttó Tosses Brilliant Start in Syracuse's 5-0 Win at Worcester on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Santos Spins Seven Scoreless, WooSox Fall 5-0 to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings' Offense Outlasts Bisons for 7-3 Win on Wednesday - Buffalo Bisons
- Stiever to Begin MLB Rehab Stint Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Iowa Takes Game Two with Comeback Win - Iowa Cubs
- Rain Knocks off Game Two After Storm Chasers Game One Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Reach Franchise-Record 12-Game Winning Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Abreu and Ridings Added to SWB Roster on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Saints Struggles on Road Continue, Fall to Indianapolis 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Lose on Late Wild Pitch in Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stiever Set to Begin MLB Rehab Assigment Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Tickets on Sale Thursday for Louisville Live at Slugger Field - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 21 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-73) vs. Indianapolis Indians (72-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 21 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Fall to Jumbo Shrimp 12-3 in Sunday's Finale
- Big Night for Colás, Knights Win 13-11 on Saturday in 10 Innings
- ROSTER MOVES: Mark Payton Promoted to White Sox Today
- Payton Promoted to White Sox on Saturday
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night