Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - After mustering just one hit through eight innings on Wednesday, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp's comeback bid in the ninth inning came up short in a 3-2 loss to the Charlotte Knights at 121 Financial Ballpark.
Charlotte (56-87) took the first and only lead in the top of the fourth. Oscar Colás led off with a single off Jacksonville (76-66) starter Elieser Hernández (L, 4-3). Lenyn Sosa followed with a single that pushed Colás to third and Blake Rutherford drove in Colás with a sac fly for a 1-0 advantage.
The Knights added to their lead in the seventh. Rutherford walked and Yolbert Sánchez singled before stealing second to put runners at second and third. Two batters later, Nick Ciuffo singled home Rutherford to push the Charlotte lead to 2-0. Craig Dedelow then reached on a fielder's choice that scored Sánchez to give the Knights a 3-0 advantage.
The Jumbo Shrimp rallied in the ninth but fell one run short. With one out, Jesús Sánchez reached on an error and Willians Astudillo walked. Two batters later, Peyton Burdick was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Ray-Patrick Didder, who entered as a defensive sub for Victor Victor Mesa earlier in the game, smacked a two-run double to cut the deficit to 3-2. Unfortunately, Bennett Sousa (S, 6) got the next out to finish off the Jumbo Shrimp.
Jacksonville continues their series with Charlotte on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. LHP Braxton Garrett (2-3, 3.15 ERA) starts for the Jumbo Shrimp. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. ET on MiLB.tv and the online stream.
Thursday's game is the final Budweiser Thirsty Thursday of the 2022 season. Fans can purchase $2 12-oz. or $3 24-oz. Budweiser products on the left field berm, Oasis concession stand or the right field bleachers. It's also Military Appreciation Night presented by Maronda Homes and Citi Jacksonville. All active and retired military members and Veterans and their families can receive complimentary tickets at the Miller Electric Box Office when presenting their military ID. In honor of Military Appreciation Night, the Jumbo Shrimp will also be wearing the Patriotic jerseys for the final time this season. Those jerseys are currently up for auction on www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 21, 2022
- Walk-Off Heroics for Darick Hall - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Top Bulls 13-9, Durham's Division Lead Remains 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Bats Can't Keep up with Nashville, Downed 17-1 on Wednesday Night - Louisville Bats
- Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Home Run Parade Lifts Tides Over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Run Rampant Wednesday, Top Buffalo 7-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- José Buttó Tosses Brilliant Start in Syracuse's 5-0 Win at Worcester on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Santos Spins Seven Scoreless, WooSox Fall 5-0 to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings' Offense Outlasts Bisons for 7-3 Win on Wednesday - Buffalo Bisons
- Stiever to Begin MLB Rehab Stint Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Iowa Takes Game Two with Comeback Win - Iowa Cubs
- Rain Knocks off Game Two After Storm Chasers Game One Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Reach Franchise-Record 12-Game Winning Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Abreu and Ridings Added to SWB Roster on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Saints Struggles on Road Continue, Fall to Indianapolis 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Lose on Late Wild Pitch in Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stiever Set to Begin MLB Rehab Assigment Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Tickets on Sale Thursday for Louisville Live at Slugger Field - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 21 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-73) vs. Indianapolis Indians (72-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 21 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Holiday Season Brings Jumbo Shrimp's 10 Days of Giving
- Savannah Bananas Announce Additional Game at 121 Financial Ballpark for 2023 Banana Ball World Tour
- Very Shrimpy Christmas Presented by the Law Offices of Ron Sholes and Fun 4 First Coast Kids Set for December 10
- Jumbo Shrimp Reveal 2023 Home Game Times
- 121 Financial Ballpark to Host USA v England Black Friday World Cup Soccer Watch Party