Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1
INDIANAPOLIS - Quinn Priester dazzled in his Triple-A debut and the Indianapolis Indians went up big with home runs by Blake Sabol and Malcom Nunez to defeat the St. Paul Saints on Wednesday afternoon at Victory Field, 7-1.
Priester (W, 1-0), who was officially added to the Indians (73-70) roster today, spun 5.0 two-hit, shutout innings as his team looked for its third consecutive win against St. Paul (69-74). He fired in 47 of his 71 pitches for strikes and collected six strikeouts, three of which came in a stretch of eight consecutive batters retired to finish his outing.
Meanwhile, the offense plated five runs in the third against Jordan Balazovic (L, 0-7) to put Priester in line for the win. Endy Rodriguez jumpstarted the scoring with a pair of runners on, lining his second double in as many games into right field to plate Jared Oliva and Ji-Hwan Bae. Sabol followed with his fifth Triple-A home run to extend the lead to 4-0 without an out being recorded. Two batters later, Malcom Nunez - who lined a single 112 MPH off the bat in his first Triple-A plate appearance - sent a fly ball over the left-field wall for his first home run at the level.
Rodriguez continued his dominance in Triple-a over his first two games, going 3-for-4 with a season-high tying four RBI after lining a two-run single to extend Indy's lead to 7-0 in the sixth. He now has five hits, two of which were doubles, in seven total Triple-A at-bats.
The Saints scored their only run via a Ryan Jeffers solo home run to straightaway center in the top of the eighth.
Jared Oliva joined Rodriguez with three hits, all singles. Of six total season-high three-hit games this season for the outfielder, three have come in the month of September.
The Indians will look to take a 4-0 lead in the series against St. Paul tomorrow night at 7:05 PM ET at Victory Field. Taking the mound for Indianapolis will be RHP Jerad Eickhoff (6-7, 5.06) against RHP Randy Dobnak (1-1, 6.39).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 21, 2022
- Walk-Off Heroics for Darick Hall - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Top Bulls 13-9, Durham's Division Lead Remains 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Bats Can't Keep up with Nashville, Downed 17-1 on Wednesday Night - Louisville Bats
- Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Home Run Parade Lifts Tides Over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Run Rampant Wednesday, Top Buffalo 7-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- José Buttó Tosses Brilliant Start in Syracuse's 5-0 Win at Worcester on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Santos Spins Seven Scoreless, WooSox Fall 5-0 to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings' Offense Outlasts Bisons for 7-3 Win on Wednesday - Buffalo Bisons
- Stiever to Begin MLB Rehab Stint Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Iowa Takes Game Two with Comeback Win - Iowa Cubs
- Rain Knocks off Game Two After Storm Chasers Game One Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Reach Franchise-Record 12-Game Winning Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Abreu and Ridings Added to SWB Roster on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Saints Struggles on Road Continue, Fall to Indianapolis 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Lose on Late Wild Pitch in Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stiever Set to Begin MLB Rehab Assigment Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Tickets on Sale Thursday for Louisville Live at Slugger Field - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 21 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-73) vs. Indianapolis Indians (72-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 21 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Mark Your Calendar: Single-Game Tickets on Sale March 1
- Former Infielder J.J. Hardy Headlines Indy Ties on 2023 Hall of Fame Ballot
- Offseason Update: Rule 5 Draft Results Impact Indianapolis' 2023 Roster
- Indians Welcome Three New Hires to Front Office
- Miguel Perez to Return as Indians Manager in 2023