RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3
ALLENTOWN, PA -The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (78-64) lost in walk-off fashion to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 4-3 on Wednesday. The RailRiders came back to take the lead in the eighth only to lose in the ninth.
Lehigh Valley got on the board with a two-run home run for Darick Hall in the first inning. The homer was Hall's seventh against the RailRiders this season and his 27th of the year overall with the IronPigs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre answered back in the fourth with an RBI single from Ryan LaMarre to make it 2-1.
The RailRiders' offense fell silent until the top of the eighth. Former RailRider Vinny Nittoli took over in the inning and surrendered back-to-back homers to Chris Owings and Ben Rortvedt. It was the second time in the month of September that SWB hit two consecutive homers.
The IronPigs responded quickly in the home half of the eighth. After a walk and a pair of balks put a runner on third, Jorge Bonifacio dropped a high pop in no man's land in center with the infield in to score the tying run, 3-3. In the bottom of the ninth, Hall would strike again with a walk-off single to right. The RailRiders dropped game two 4-3.
Michael Kelly (2-2) took the win. Anthony Banda (0-1) surrendered the walk-off single and took a loss. The Durham Bulls also lost on Wednesday night so SWB stays a game and a half back of the lone playoff position with less than a week to go in the regular season.
Zach Greene will take the ball for game three on Thursday night at 7:05 PM. The game can be heard with Adam Marco and Steve Granado on the call at 6:45 PM on the RailRiders Baseball Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 21, 2022
- Walk-Off Heroics for Darick Hall - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Beat the 'Shrimp 3-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Lose to IronPigs 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jacksonville Rally Falls One Run Short - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Top Bulls 13-9, Durham's Division Lead Remains 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Bats Can't Keep up with Nashville, Downed 17-1 on Wednesday Night - Louisville Bats
- Lindblom, Sounds Dominate Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Home Run Parade Lifts Tides Over Bulls - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Run Rampant Wednesday, Top Buffalo 7-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- José Buttó Tosses Brilliant Start in Syracuse's 5-0 Win at Worcester on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Santos Spins Seven Scoreless, WooSox Fall 5-0 to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings' Offense Outlasts Bisons for 7-3 Win on Wednesday - Buffalo Bisons
- Stiever to Begin MLB Rehab Stint Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Iowa Takes Game Two with Comeback Win - Iowa Cubs
- Rain Knocks off Game Two After Storm Chasers Game One Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Mud Hens Reach Franchise-Record 12-Game Winning Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Abreu and Ridings Added to SWB Roster on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Priester Shines in Triple-A Debut, Indians Defeat Saints 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Saints Struggles on Road Continue, Fall to Indianapolis 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Lose on Late Wild Pitch in Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toerner Lifts Memphis in Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stiever Set to Begin MLB Rehab Assigment Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Tickets on Sale Thursday for Louisville Live at Slugger Field - Louisville Bats
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 21 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-73) vs. Indianapolis Indians (72-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- September 21 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Broadcaster Honored by Ballpark Digest
- Weissert Nabs Two International League Honors
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre sets 2023 home game times
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre announces 2022-23 Student MVP Program
- Minor League Baseball Teams Launch Marvel-Themed Team Identities