Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC
LOS ANGELES - The Portland Timbers received a late second-half goal from Jorge Villafaña to earn a 1-1 draw on the road against Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on the final day of the regular season. With the result, Portland secured the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference and will play host to the No. 6 seed FC Dallas at Providence Park in the first round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
The Timbers secured a spot in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for a fourth straight season, and the sixth time (2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) in the club's MLS history. Portland's four consecutive trips to the postseason is the longest streak in club history. Notably, Giovanni Savarese is the first manager in team history to advance to the playoffs in three straight seasons.
Portland scored the second-most goals (46) during the regular season, trailing only LAFC (47 goals). The Timbers finished the season with 21 goals over their nine road games, which was the most of any team in MLS. The 2.33 goals per road game is the second-highest average for a season in MLS history behind only the 1998 LA Galaxy.
Villafaña + Valeri
Jorge Villafaña scored his first goal of the season and his first goal since Oct. 25, 2015. He is the 14th different player to score for the Timbers this season. Diego Valeri recorded the assist on Villafaña's goal. The assist was his seventh of the season. With the assist, Valeri has tallied seven or more assists in each of his eight seasons with Portland.
LAFC - Carlos Vela, 5th minute: Latif Blessing fired a shot from the edge of the box and Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark parried the attempt away, but Carlos Vela pounced on the loose ball and converted the rebound.
POR - Jorge Villafaña (Diego Valeri, Andy Polo), 90th minute: On the counter attack, the Timbers worked the ball down the right side of the field. Diego Valeri delivered a pinpoint cross from the right wing to Jorge Villafaña, who made a late run into the box and deposited a header into the back of the net.
Jorge Villafaña scored his first goal of the season and his first goal since Oct. 25, 2015.
Villafaña's goal was the third headed goal of his career with the others coming 2018 and 2013 for Chivas USA.
Villafaña is the 14th different player to score for the Timbers this season.
Diego Valeri delivered his seventh assist of the season.
Valeri has recorded seven or more assists in each of his first eight seasons with the Timbers, joining Brad Davis, Preki and Marco Etcheverry as the only players to record seven or more assists in eight consecutive seasons.
Valeri has 88 regular-season assists for his Timbers career, which is 10th-most in MLS history.
Valeri has tallied 38 career road assists, which are eighth-most in MLS history.
Andy Polo delivered his second assist of the season and the fifth of his MLS career.
The Timbers return to the playoffs for a fourth straight season - the longest streak in club history.
Portland will be the No. 3 seed for the second time (2015) in club history.
Giovanni Savarese is the first manager in team history to advance to the playoffs in three straight seasons.
The Timbers finished the regular season with 21 goals in nine road games for an average of 2.33 goals per road match. That is the second-highest road goals per game average in MLS history behind only the 1998 LA Galaxy.
The Timbers play host to FC Dallas in the first round of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs at Providence Park. The date, time and broadcast information for the match is to be determined.
Portland Timbers (11-6-6, 39pts) vs. Los Angeles FC (9-8-5, 32pts)
Nov. 8, 2020 - Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
LAFC 1 0 1
LAFC: Vela, 5
POR: Villafaña (Valeri, Polo), 90
LAFC: Blessing (caution), 27
POR: Valeri (caution), 31
LAFC: Torres (caution), 63
POR: Asprilla (caution), 81
POR: Mabiala (caution), 90+1
POR: GK Clark, D Duvall (Farfan, 77), D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Villafaña, M Paredes (Polo, 77), M Williamson, M LorÃa (Asprilla, 67), M Valeri ©, M Y. Chara, F Mora
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D Tuiloma, M Conechny, M Flores, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 8 (Mora, Valeri, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 13 (Mabiala, Mora, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 6
LAFC: GK Vermeer, D Blackmon, D Murillo (Jakovic, 45), D Segura, D Harvey, M Cifuentes (Kaye, 88), M Atuesta, M Blessing (Ginella, 88), F Torres (RodrÃguez, 76), F Rossi, F Vela
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ejimandu, D Leone, D Duenas, D Palacios, M Duke
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Rossi, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Rossi, 2); FOULS: 13 (Blessing, Torres, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3
Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell, Diego Blas
Fourth Official: Elijo Arreguin
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
Weather: Sunny, 59 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire $50,000 in 2023 General Allocation Money from Orlando City SC
- Timbers Appoint Heather Davis as Chief Executive Officer
- Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023
- Juan David Mosquera, Santiago Moreno Called up for Colombian National Team Training Camp
- Eryk Williamson Called up to U.S. Men's National Team for Pair of Friendly Matches in January