'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
PORTLAND, OR - Vancouver Whitecaps FC wrapped up their 2020 MLS season strong on Sunday afternoon, winning 3-0 against LA Galaxy at Providence Park behind a brace from Fredy Montero and a pair of assists from CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez.
Whitecaps FC had seven different players recording a goal or assist in a dominant 90-minute performance, giving them a final record of 9W-14L-0D in a year like no other in its history. The 'Caps land at ninth place in the Western Conference, just three points below the playoff line despite playing only four of 23 games at BC Place, and spending the last 51 days of the season away from Vancouver. VWFC, who improved their points-per-game average from last season, also become the first club in MLS to conclude their schedule without a draw.
Lucas Cavallini ends his first year in MLS with six goals to win the Domenic Mobilio Golden Boot Award as the club's top scorer. Evan Bush, who started in net for the 'Caps final eight matches after joining the club in late September, had a season-high six saves for his first clean sheet in a VWFC uniform.
The 'Caps were able to find the first score of the afternoon in the 24th minute. After Russell Teibert sent an aerial through ball down the left side of the pitch to Gutiérrez, the left back ripped a cross towards the goal where Cavallini powered above a defender to send in the ball off the back of his head.
Not long after Vancouver's first score, the 'Caps would gain another advantage as Julian Araujo was shown a straight red for serious foul play following a studs-up tackle on Gutiérrez. Taking advantage of their extra man, Vancouver would double their lead in the first half with a 43rd-minute goal from Montero's chest off an Ali Adnan cross that dropped just in front of the goal.
While the majority of the second half was less attack-oriented for the 'Caps and more focused on maintaining their lead, Vancouver were tasked with denying a number of late Galaxy attacks including a curling Chicharito free kick from the edge of the box that was swatted away by a diving Bush in the 75th minute. Finally, the 'Caps were able to seal the game on a Montero goal from the centre of the box giving the Colombian his brace in his 200th MLS regular season appearance.
The 'Caps now look forward to an important offseason ahead with the goal of adding difference-makers to a youthful roster that has gone through the fire and showed their promise in the face of adversity this year.
Stay tuned to whitecapsfc.com for news and updates throughout the offseason.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Gutiérrez's assist on Cavallini's goal is his first in MLS... Teibert's assist is his 18th in his MLS career, moving him up to sole second in the club's all-time MLS assist records behind only Pedro Morales... Whitecaps FC finish the season with 149 combined games played by Canadian players, a club MLS record despite the abbreviated schedule... 'Caps Homegrown midfielder Damiano Pecile came on as a late substitute to make his professional debut.
VWFC Man of the Match: Fredy Montero
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
24' - VAN - Lucas Cavallini (CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez, Russell Teibert)
43' - VAN - Fredy Montero (Ali Adnan, Jake Nerwinski)
90'+1' - VAN - Fredy Montero (Cristian DÃ¡jome, CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez)
Possession: VAN 52.3% - LA 47.7%
Shots: VAN 16 - LA 12
Shots on Goal: VAN 6 - LA 6
Saves: VAN 6 - LA 3
Fouls: VAN 14 - LA 15
Offsides: VAN 0 - LA 3
Corners: VAN 2 - LA 7
52' - LA - Perry Kitchen
41' - LA - Julian Araujo
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
30.Evan Bush; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 22.Ãrik Godoy, 3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez; 11.Cristian DÃ¡jome, 19.Janio Bikel, 31.Russell Teibert ©, 53.Ali Adnan (87.Tosaint Ricketts 87'); 12.Fredy Montero (62.Damiano Pecile 90'+2'), 9.Lucas Cavallini (14.Theo Bair 87')
Substitutes not used
1.Bryan Meredith, 13.Derek Cornelius, 15.Andy Rose, 20.Jasser Khmiri, 27.Ryan Raposo, 32.Patrick Metcalfe
1.David Bingham; 22.Julian Araujo, 21.Giancarlo GonzÃ¡lez, 5.Daniel Steres, 3.Emiliano InsÃºa (27.Emil Cuello 86'); 15.Joe Corona (16.Sacha Kljestan 55'), 2.Perry Kitchen; 11.Yony GonzÃ¡lez (25.Rolf Feltscher 44'), 26.EfraÃn Ãlvarez (28.Kai Koreniuk 87'), 10.Cristian PavÃ³n ©; 29.Ethan Zubak (14.Chicharito HT)
Substitutes not used
18.Justin vom Steeg, 20.Nicholas DePuy, 60.Cameron Dunbar, 67.Carlos Harvey
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Re-Sign Central Defender/Midfielder Andy Rose
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Acquire 20-Year-Old Colombian Youth International Winger Deiber Caicedo
- Whitecaps FC Select Four Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 International Slot from Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Launch BMO Atlantic Canada Development Centre