Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield
CHESTER, Pa. - Completing the season with 2.04 points-per-game and a 14-4-5 record, the Philadelphia Union have clinched the best overall record of Major League Soccer for the 2020 regular season and have won the Supporters' Shield, the first trophy for the club. The Union have also earned a berth in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, a financial bonus, and top seed and homefield advantage throughout the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
"Today is a special day in Philadelphia Union history," said Jay Sugarman, Philadelphia Union Principal Owner. "In a season full of challenges, our team showed they could fight through whatever was thrown at them and come out on top. I am incredibly proud of this organization; Ernst Tanner and Chris Albright for building a championship team, Jim Curtin and the coaching staff for their leadership, and every single Union player on the roster who fought for the badge and the city of Philadelphia."
"What our team has been able to do during the toughest season of Major League Soccer is truly remarkable," said Ernst Tanner, Philadelphia Union Sporting Director. "This team has shown heart, determination, and sacrifice to bring home the first major trophy for the club and city. From the day I arrived, the strategy was to build a winning team through our young talents and new signings, and develop a championship mentality that would allow us to become one of the top clubs in Major League Soccer."
"This journey started more than ten years ago, and on behalf of the Sons of Ben and the Union faithful, we are thrilled to share this moment with the team and organization," said Matt Gendaszek, Sons of Ben President. "It is truly an honor for the Sons of Ben to be able to award the only trophy in American sports that is given by the fans to our 2020 Philadelphia Union squad. This team has overcome every obstacle and challenge that 2020 has placed in front of them. We are so proud of the fighting spirit of this team and how they represent us, the fans, and the Philadelphia region."
The Supporters' Shield is an annual award given to the Major League Soccer team with the best regular season record. It was created to echo European leagues, where the regular season record is considered the league winner. The Union achieved this feat by developing a young core to pair with key veteran signings, allowing them to build on a club points record set in 2019.
The Shield was created by MLS supporter groups, like Philadelphia's Sons of Ben, and is awarded by the Supporters' Shield Foundation. As a club founded by supporters, this is a particularly important trophy for the Union. The Shield was presented to the Union by the Sons of Ben on-field following the conclusion of the game.
The Philadelphia Union clinched the best overall record after defeating the New England Revolution by a 2-0 score line at Subaru Park. Sergio Santos provided the winning goal, scoring in the 43rd minute of play. The second half saw Cory Burke double the lead for the Union in the 69th minute.
The Philadelphia Union 2020 season continues in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs. Additional details will be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Sign Center Back Stuart Findlay
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract