Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time
NASHVILLE, TENN - On Major League Soccer Decision Day presented by AT&T, Nashville SC (8W-7L-8D, 1.39 PPG) scored two goals in the last five minutes of the match to take a dramatic 3-2 win away to Orlando City SC (11W-4L-8D, 1.78 PPG) at Exploria Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
The result means that Nashville finishes in seventh place in the Eastern Conference in its first MLS season and will host fellow expansion side Inter Miami CF in the play-in round of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on November 20 at 8 p.m. CT at Nissan Stadium.
Next Stop, Audi MLS Cup Playoffs: With the victory, Nashville SC solidifies the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference. It will host 10th seed Inter Miami CF at Nissan Stadium in the play-in round of the Eastern Conference Audi MLS Cup Playoffs. Nashville has a 1W-0L-1D record against its expansion counterparts this season and has a 4W-1L-5D record at Nissan Stadium since the season restarted in August.
Late Magic: When the team needed them most, Nashville's Designated Players came up clutch with two late goals to win the match in spectacular fashion. In the 88th minute, late substitute Hany Mukhtar met a cross from winger Alex Muyl and redirected it into the back of the net. Deep into stoppage time, Mukhtar crossed the free kick towards the back post right on the six-yard box, and Jhonder CÃ¡diz found space and headed it in to give Nashville the lead.
Lovitz Laser: Left-back Dan Lovitz scored his first goal of the season and his first goal for Nashville to equalize the score in the first half. Down a goal early, Lovitz laced home a shot from outside of the box in the 20th minute with his non-dominant right foot. On the defensive end, Lovitz who has been one of the team's most dependable players this season, won two tackles, two interceptions, and made four recoveries.
ORL - Daryl Dike (Chris Mueller) 4th minute: Winger Chris Mueller recovers the ball on the midfield line, charges down into Nashville's half, and lays the ball off to his right to striker Daryl Dike. Dike shot the ball from the right side of the box into the lower left corner of the net.
NSH - Dan Lovitz 20th minute: Winger Randall Leal's corner is cleared outside of the box, and left-back Dan Lovitz recovers the ball. He chests it down, shoots, and his shot is blocked. He gets the ball back, puts it onto his right foot, and curls it into the top left corner of the net.
ORL - Nani 61st minute: Winger and Designated Player Nani takes a free kick within shooting range and curls it into the top-left corner of the net to give his side the lead.
NSH - Hany Mukhtar (Alex Muyl, Dave Romney) 88th minute: Winger Alex Muyl receives the ball on the left wing, cuts it back to his right foot, and crosses it into the box. Attacking midfielder Hany Mukhtar times his jump perfectly and heads it into the back of the net to equalize late.
NSH - Jhonder CÃ¡diz (Hany Mukhtar) 90+3rd minute: Midfielder Matt LaGrassa is taken down near the right corner of the 18-yard box. Hany Mukhtar steps up to take the free kick and puts it right on the six-yard box. Striker Jhonder CÃ¡diz finds space and heads it down into the back of the net to give Nashville all three points.
Nashville SC has a record of 1W-1L-1D against Orlando City SC.
Nashville SC's earned its third road win in a row.
With the win, Nashville became the only team to beat Orlando at home this season.
Nashville SC finished the season with the fifth most points by an expansion team through 23 games in MLS history.
Nashville earned the fifth highest points per game by an expansion team in MLS history.
Nashville SC allowed the fewest goals by an expansion team through 23 games and the lowest regular season goals against average in league history.
Nashville SC's two headed goals in the game against Orlando City puts them second in the league for headed goals with nine. They trail only the Portland Timbers, who have 12.
Nashville SC added two more set piece goals to their tally this season moving their season total to nine.
Jhonder CÃ¡diz scored his second goal for Nashville SC with his header in stoppage time of the second half.
Left-back Daniel Lovitz scored his first goal for Nashville SC with a curled right-footed shot in the 20th minute.
Hany Mukhtar had a goal and an assist after coming on as a substitute in the 76th minute of the match, recording his fourth goal and fourth assist of the season, putting him tied for the team lead in both categories.
Alex Muyl has led Nashville to a 7W-2L-6D record when starting matches
Goalkeeper Joe Willis and center back Dave Romney appeared in all 23 matches this season. Neither player missed a minute of action in the regular season. Joe Willis finishes the regular season as the MLS leader in shutouts with nine
Nashville SC will host Inter Miami CF in its first-ever playoff match on Friday, Nov. 20 at 8 p.m. CT at Nissan Stadium. Stay tuned for more details.
Nashville SC (8W-7L-8D, 1.39 PPG) vs. Orlando City SC (11W-4L-8D, 1.78 PPG)
Nov. 8, 2020 - Exploria Stadium, Orlando, Fla.
NSH: Lovitz, 20'; Mukhtar (Muyl, Romney), 88'; CÃ¡diz (Mukhtar) 90+3'
ORL: Dike (Mueller), 4'; Nani, 61'
NSH: Jones (caution), 28'; Godoy (caution), 29'; McCarty (caution), 37';
ORL: Perea (caution), 17'
NSH: Joe Willis; Dan Lovitz, Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Alistair Johnston; Dax McCarty (Tah Brian Anunga, HT), AnÃbal Godoy (Matt LaGrassa, HT), Alex Muyl, Derrick Jones (Hany Mukhtar, 76'), Randall Leal (Handwalla Bwana, 69'); Daniel RÃos (Jhonder CÃ¡diz, HT)
Unused Substitutes: Elliot Panicco, Taylor Washington, Jalil Anibaba, Eric Miller
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Lovitz, RÃos, Mukhtar, CÃ¡diz, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Mukhtar, 2); FOULS: 13 (McCarty, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2; POSSESSION: 48.1%
ORL: Brian Rowe; Ruan, AntÃ´nio Carlos, Robin Jansson, Kyle Smith; Chris Mueller (Benji Michel, 71'), Andrés Perea, JÃºnior Urso (Jhegson Méndez, 72'), Jordan Bender (Tesho Akindele, HT); Daryl Dike, Nani (Joey Dezart, 87')
Unused Substitutes: Mason Stajduhar, Kamal Miller, Rodrigo Schlegel, Mattheus Aias, Alexander Alvarado
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3; POSSESSION: 51.9%
Referee: David Gantar
Assistant Referees: Adam Garner, David Hall-Volpenhein
Fourth Official: Elvis Osmanovic
VAR: Sorin Stoica
Statistics are unofficial.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Vibe II Jersey Celebration Saturday
- Nashville SC Unveils Vibe II, its 2021/22 Major League Soccer Away Jersey
- Nashville SC Acquires Veteran Goalkeeper Bryan Meredith
- Nashville SC Signs Homegrown Defender Nick Hinds from Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC Signs Defender Robert Castellanos