Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC
Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra had yet another impressive showing on Wednesday night against Columbus, registering his second multi-assist performance of the year with the pass that led to both goals on the night for the Lions. His first such performance came against Sunday's opposition on Aug. 26 at Exploria, with his total on the year now sitting at eight for the team lead. Pereyra has now registered the assist on each of the Lions' last three finishes, with his midweek performance earning him his second-consecutive MLS Team of the Week selection.
A Homegrown Hero
Benji Michel scored his fifth goal of the year on Wednesday night and his most important for the Club since signing a Homegrown contract ahead of the 2019 season. Michel's game-winner effectively clinched a home playoff match for the Lions in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, with the side now a lock for a top-four finish in the East. The Homegrown scored his first professional goal against Columbus on July 13 of last year, a game-winner in the same minute mark as Wednesday's at the 84th minute of play, with his total now at 10 goals as a Lion.
Another Historic Milestone
With the victory on Wednesday evening, the Lions clinched a top-four finish in the Eastern Conference upon conclusion of the 2020 Major League Soccer regular season, ensuring their first postseason match in Club history will take place at Exploria Stadium. This milestone came just over two weeks after City clinched a playoff berth in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, a historic mark reached on Oct. 18.
Keep Cashing In
Chris Mueller extended his team lead in finishes on Wednesday evening, netting the first goal in the match for the Lions in the 27th minute of play. The 2018 MLS SuperDraft selection has found the back of the net for the Lions 10 times this season, with six assists to his credit to put his total goal contributions at 16, a team-high. Mueller has appeared in all but one match for the Lions this season, with 82 appearances in total in MLS play since being drafted in 2018.
Rising Up the Ranks
With the victory on Wednesday evening, Head Coach Oscar Pareja took sole possession of eighth in MLS all-time coaching wins with the 114th victory of his career. Pareja passes former D.C. United Head Coach Ben Olsen on that list, accomplishing this feat in 74 fewer matches than Olsen at 260 compared to 334. At 114, Pareja is seven matches away from the next man on the list in former Orlando City Head Coach Jason Kreis, who sits in seventh at 121.
Defending the Fortress
The Lions continue to hold strong as just one of three teams undefeated at home this season, the other two being FC Dallas and Philadelphia Union. With a win on Sunday, it would mark the first time in Club history that City would close a campaign with an unbeaten home record, its next best mark coming in its inaugural season in 2015 at 7-5-5 in the City Beautiful. The Lions currently sit at 7-0-3 at home this year, with a +13 goal differential through 10 matches.
Sunday will mark the third time the Lions will face off against Nashville SC this season, with a 1-0-1 record in their previous two meetings. City first met the Music City-based side on Aug. 26 in its MLS Phase 1 Continuation of Play opener at Exploria Stadium, a match that resulted in a 3-1 victory for the home side behind a brace from Daryl Dike. Just a week later, the Lions would travel to Nashville and return with a road point, with Benji Michel scoring a stunner in a 1-1 draw at Nissan Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Broadcasters Miguel Gallardo and Sergio Ruiz Torres Join the Apple TV MLS Season Pass Crew
- U.S. Soccer Selects City of Orlando to Host USA-El Salvador for Concacaf Nations League Group D Finale on March 27 at 7:30 p.m. ET
- Orlando City SC Acquires Icelandic National Team Midfielder Dagur Dan Thórhallsson
- Orlando City SC Acquires Argentine Forward Ramiro Enrique as U22 Initiative Signing
- Orlando City Signs Defender Rodrigo Schlegel to New Contract