Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win
The Colorado Rapids end the regular season with three wins in a row after Diego Rubio put in the game winner in stoppage time to lift Colorado over the Houston Dynamo 2-1 at BBVA Stadium.
Both head coaches made a handful of changes to their usual starting lineups and both sides looked a bit of out sync in the first half. Houston had a slight edge, with three shots on target, including forcing Colorado goalkeeper William Yarbrough to make a save just two minutes into the game.
Houston's Darwin Quintero left the game in the 39th minute after pulling up on a run towards goal and asking for a substitute. The forward wasn't able to add to his scoring total tonight, but still became the first player in Dynamo history to lead the club in both goals (7) and assists (10) in the same season.
Colorado manager Robin Fraser brought in Jack Price and Designated Player Younes Namli to start the second half, likely in hopes of getting some control in the midfield and creativity in the attack. It paid off in the 61st minute, when Namli followed in a rebound and put the Rapids up 1-0.
Mauro Manotas responded right away for Houston but was called offside. The Colombian striker got a second chance a few minutes later and made it to count, leveling the game at 1-1 with 20 minutes left.
In the dying minutes of the game, Diego Rubio found the back of the net to give the Rapids the win and move them to 5th place in the Western Conference heading into the playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Academy Competes in Second Annual MLS NEXT Fest
- Rapids and DNVR Sports Watch Party Partnership Thriving During World Cup Season
- Colorado Rapids Decline the Option to Make Lucas Esteves' Loan a Permanent Transfer
- Colorado Rapids Recall Cole Bassett from Fortuna Sittard Loan
- Colorado Rapids Retain MLS Rights to Lucas Esteves During Re-Entry Draft