Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss
SEATTLE, Wash. - The San Jose Earthquakes fell to Seattle Sounders FC 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at CenturyLink Field. The Quakes finished the regular season in eighth place in the Western Conference and will now play the top seed Sporting Kansas City in the first round of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
After a scoreless first half, Seattle scored two goals in the first nine minutes of the second half to jump out to a 2-0 lead.
Just moments later, San Jose cut the deficit in half when defender Marcos Lopez scored a direct free kick from a tight angle along the end line.
Sounders FC then regained their two-goal advantage through Jordan Morris in the 74th minute before adding another by way of an own goal six minutes later.
The Earthquakes will now return to San Jose to prepare for their first-round playoff match against Sporting Kansas City. The date, time and broadcast details of the match will be announced soon.
The Quakes finished the 2020 regular season in eighth place in the Western Conference with an 8-9-6 record (1.30 PPG).
The Earthquakes held a 6-3-1 record over their last 10 matches, tied for the best record in the Western Conference during that span, while keeping four shutouts.
Defender Marcos Lopez scored his second goal of the season and the second of his MLS career.
Homegrown defender Nick Lima made his 100th MLS appearance, starting and playing 90 minutes. He became the second Homegrown Player in Quakes history to reach 100 regular season appearances, following Tommy Thompson.
MLS Regular Season
Seattle Sounders FC 4 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes
Nov. 8, 2020 - CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Wash.
Scoring Summary: SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro (unassisted) 52; SEA - Raul Ruidiaz (Cristian Roldan) 54; SJ - Marcos Lopez (unassisted) 57; SEA - Jordan Morris (Nicolas Lodeiro) 74; SEA - Marcos Lopez (own goal) 80.
Misconduct Summary: None.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: JT Marcinkowski; Marcos Lopez (Paul Marie 82), Oswaldo Alanis, Florian Jungwirth, Nick Lima (Tommy Thompson 59); Shea Salinas, Judson, Luis Felipe (Eric Calvillo 59), Cristian Espinoza (Siad Haji 59); Cade Cowell, Chris Wondolowski.
Substitutes not used: Jacob Akanyirige, Tanner Beason, Gilbert Fuentes, Jack Skahan, Daniel Vega.
SHOTS: 5, SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; SAVES: 2; FOULS: 12; CORNER KICKS: 4, OFFSIDES: 0.
SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC: Stefan Frei, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou (Alex Roldan 65), Kelvin Leerdam (Jordy Delem 81), Yeimar Gomez, Joevin Jones (Jimmy Medranda 82), Joao Paulo (Joshua Atencio 90), Cristian Roldan, Nicolas Lodeiro, Raul Ruidiaz, Jordan Morris (Shandon Hopeau 90).
Substitutes not used: Will Bruin, Stefan Cleveland, Danny Leyva, Roman Torres.
SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; SAVES: 2; FOULS: 7; CORNER KICKS: 4, OFFSIDES: 1.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MATIAS ALMEYDA
On tonight's match against Seattle:
"We always try to prepare to compete and win. I think discounting the goals, the game was good. If we had taken advantage of our chances in the first half as they did, this would have been a different match. The difference is that they capitalized on their chances and we did not. Nonetheless, it makes me happy to see Cade Cowell be able to play 90 minutes, as well as seeing the other youngsters come on. It was a good game and we still came here to compete."
On heading into playoffs:
"First and foremost, we are going to give the players two days to rest. Since the beginning of the season, the players have not taken a break. It's about enjoying everything we have achieved up until Wednesday when we made the playoffs. We will focus on recovery for the players and ultimately focus on the upcoming game, which will be like a final."
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES DEFENDER TOMMY THOMPSON
On the team's preparation for the first-round match against SKC:
"It's a little bit strange matching up with a team in the Western Conference playoffs without playing them once all year, but this year has presented all kinds of new obstacles that we've had to learn to overcome. I'm sure Matias [Almeyda] and the rest of the staff will do a great job of preparing video on Kansas City, like we always do for every team. By the time kickoff starts, we're going to know their plays, we're going to know exactly what we need to do to get the result, so that's what we're going to be focusing on. We're really looking forward to being back in the playoffs."
On the team's bounce-back mentality:
"I think this team has shown a lot of character. We've gone through great moments this year. We've gone through extremely difficult moments as well, but there's a belief in this group that whoever is on the field can get the job done. We're going to learn from our mistakes today. Seattle is a great team, and they made us pay. We've got to make sure that we're going to be as sharp as we can against Kansas City, and this game is a good reminder that against the top teams in this league, you can't take your foot off the gas pedal for one minute. It's a tough way to end the season, but we've accomplished a lot. We're definitely going to have a short memory going into Kansas City. We'll be full of confidence and ready to go in a couple weeks."
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders FC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Hire Adin Brown as Goalkeeper Coach
- Earthquakes Announce 2023 Preseason Schedule
- Earthquakes Select Midfielder Michael Baldisimo in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft
- Earthquakes to Participate in 2023 Coachella Valley Invitational
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2023 MLS Season