Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - FC Cincinnati fell to Inter Miami CF, 2-1, at Inter Miami CF Stadium on Decision Day on Sunday afternoon. Joseph-Claude Gyau scored his first goal as an FCC player, but the Orange and Blue were unable to equalize.
Inter Miami CF (7-13-3, 24 pts.) opened the scoring in the 19th minute when a cleared corner kick landed at the feet of Mikey Ambrose about 25 yards from goal, where the midfielder took a shot from distance for his first career MLS goal. Just minutes later, Miami center back Leandro GonzÃ¡lez PÃrez connected on a header following a corner kick to double the home side's lead.
FC Cincinnati (4-15-4, 16 pts.) cut into the deficit in the second half when Joseph-Claude Gyau curled a shot from outside the 18-yard box into the back of the net. Off a set piece delivery from Haris Medunjanin, Nick Hagglund headed a shot on goal late in the match, but John McCarthy was able to make the save to ensure all three points for Miami.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club's state-of-the-art West End Stadium - which will open in Spring 2021 - is now available at westendstadium.com. Season ticket deposits are now being accepted for traditional reserved seating and The Bailey. For more information about 2021 season memberships, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium's social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team's sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.
Inter Miami CF 2, FC Cincinnati 1
Inter Miami CF Stadium | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
November 8, 2020
MIA - Mikey Ambrose (unassisted) 19'
MIA - Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (Lewis Morgan) 23'
CIN - Joseph-Claude Gyau (Brandon Vazquez) 66'
FC Cincinnati: Spencer Richey, Zico Bailey (Brandon Vazquez 62'), Nick Hagglund, Maikel van der Werff, Andrew Gutman, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Haris Medunjanin ©, Frankie Amaya (Siem de Jong 55') (Tommy McCabe 78'), Jürgen Locadia, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Franko KovaÄeviÄ
Bench: Bobby Edwards, Saad Abdul-Salaam. Mathieu Deplagne, Kendall Waston, Jimmy McLaughlin, Rashawn Dally
Stats: Shots 12, Shots on goal 4, Saves 3, Corner kicks 3, Offsides 0, Fouls 10, Possession 63.2%, Passes 541 (88.9%)
Inter Miami CF: John McCarthy, Andres Reyes, A.J. DeLaGarza, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Mikey Ambrose, Wil Trapp, Lewis Morgan (Victor Ulloa 84'), Blaise Matuidi, Rodolfo Pizarro (Alvas Powell 84'), Gonzalo Higuain © (Christian Makoun 90'), Juan Agudelo (JuliÃ¡n Carranza 63')
Bench: Drake Callender, Matias Pellegrini, Jay Chapman, Dylan Nealis, Federico Higuain
Stats: Shots 13, Shots on goal 5, Saves 3, Corner kicks 5, Offsides 1, Fouls 18, Possession 36.8%, Passes 314 (78.7%)
CIN - Joseph-Claude Gyau (caution) 4'
CIN - Nick Hagglund (caution) 21'
MIA - Andres Reyes (caution) 62'
MIA - Andres Reyes (caution, ejection) 88'
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr
Assistant Referees: Jose da Silva, Jeffrey Swartzel
4th Official: Marcos de Oliveira
VAR: Chris Penso
Weather: 74 and rain
With tonight's loss, the Orange and Blue conclude the season with a 4-15-4 record ... FCC finished 1-10-0 in matches played at road venues ... FC Cincinnati's all-time, all-competition record against Inter Miami CF moves to 0-1-0 ... The Orange and Blue conclude the season 4-12-4 against Eastern Conference opponents
Joseph-Claude Gyau scored his first FC Cincinnati goal in today's match ... the winger has recorded one goal and one assist in 29 career MLS matches
Brandon Vazquez recorded his second assist of the campaign on Gyau's goal ... with that assist, Vazquez became the only FCC player this season to record multiple goals and assists
Franko KovaÄeviÄ made his MLS debut in tonight's match ... the Croatian forward started, played 90 minutes and recorded three shots, including one shot on goal
Tommy McCabe made his first appearance of the season for the Orange and Blue when he replaced an injured Siem de Jong in the 78th minute ... McCabe has made seven appearances, including two starts, in two professional seasons with FCC ... the midfielder made seven appearances on loan with USL Championship side Memphis 901 FC this season
Head coach Jaap Stam made four changes to the club's most recent match against Atlanta United FC on Nov. 1 ... Zico Bailey, Nick Hagglund, Maikel van der Werff and Franko KovaÄeviÄ replaced Saad Abdul-Salaam, Kendall Waston, Tom Pettersson and Brandon Vazquez
Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Greg Garza, Yuya Kubo, Caleb Stanko, Tom Pettersson and PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ were excluded from the matchday roster because of injuries
FC Cincinnati head coach Jaap Stam
On tonight's performance
"A lot of the time, I am pleased with what the guys are trying to bring. Second half, we already spoke about it, it was going to be different, because the wind is different. They need to defend more. You get a big part of the game, in terms of having possession going forward. Sometimes, we come out on the break. We scored that one goal. They tried on pushing to get the equalizer. Unfortunately, we couldn't get that one. I am not saying that the first half was bad, because the first half, due to circumstances, it is not easy to play. At times, yeah, we could have done better, but it's not like the first half was bad football. "
On Joseph-Claude Gyau's goal
"Joe (Joseph-Claude Gyau) is always working hard. I mentioned it to him before the game, and he scored. It was a great goal. It gives you a little bit of a boost, and they keep on pushing. Unfortunately, they couldn't finish it."
FC Cincinnati winger Joseph-Claude Gyau
On his first goal
"It feels good, but unfortunately we lost. What, did they make the playoffs now? Our plan was to spoil their playoff run. It didn't work. Yeah, I am happy I was finally able to get a goal, but it's just a sad way to end the season."
On the buildup in his goal
"Coach (Jaap Stam) just put me at right back. That is something that we discussed. I just saw Brandon (Vazquez) peeling into the middle, played it into him. He played it back to me. From the first half, they knew I wanted to go down the line, so I cut it inside and hit it with my left."
On whether he has played in similar weather conditions before
"No, this is crazy. It is absolutely crazy. Unbelievable. We have to get out of here."
FC Cincinnati forward Franko KovaÄeviÄ
On his MLS debut
"I'm always disappointed when I lose. For me, this was not as great as a team. As a result, you can see that, but I think the team wanted the win. The coach wanted the win and stop everyone. I think we played well. I think we were better. I hope next season ... I will be the first to promise to the fans that we will give everything to make playoffs and then we will see. This team needs a winning mentality. When we get a winning mentality, by the quality of players, we can easily come to playoffs, and then we can show everyone we are a good team and that each player is good."
On his transition to MLS
"Look, I come from Croatia in Europe. In Croatia, you grow up in the street and on the street you learn everything. Everything that I learned, it was on the street. So yeah ... when you put me on the pitch I am comfortable, because I feel that I can dribble to every place. So yeah, I feel comfortable."
On whether he played in similar weather conditions before
"I am not sure, but I want to say this ... Weather like this is no problem. Every player needs to be blessed that he can play on this pitch. This pitch is perfect pitch. In Croatia, you can't find it. In Europe, not all pitches are like this. For me, everytime that I play on a pitch like this I am blessed."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Add Four Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft, Select Calvin Harris with Second Overall Pick
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Cody Cropper
- FC Cincinnati Sign Winger Ben Mines
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Costa Rica International Defender Ronald Matarrita from New York City FC