Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Atlanta United lost to Columbus Crew SC 2-1 in its 2020 MLS Regular Season finale. Marcelino Moreno scored his second goal of the season, but Atlanta's second-half comeback fell short despite out-shooting Columbus 13-9.
Atlanta appeared to have won a penalty in the 24th minute when Jon Gallagher was taken down in the box by Eloy Room. Ismail Elfath immediately pointed to the spot; however, video review overturned the call on the field. The swing in momentum was drastic, as less than five minutes later, Lucas Zalarayan put Columbus ahead.
Columbus doubled the lead in the 55th minute from Gyasi Zardes, who finished off a long counterattack. Artur played Zardes through along the left wing, allowing the veteran American forward to dribble into the box where his left-footed shot redirected off a diving Miles Robinson and into the back of the net.
But Atlanta quickly responded from Moreno less than five minutes later. Jürgen Damm was taken down inside the box by Milton Valenzuela, with Elfath again immediately pointing to the spot. This time the penalty stood, and Moreno calmly slotted to the right post to give Atlanta life over the final half hour.
Needing a goal to keep its season alive, Atlanta poured on pressure late and attempted multiple crosses into the box. Although they ultimately forced 24 clearances from Columbus, Atlanta was unable to find an equalizer.
Atlanta finishes the 2020 MLS Regular Season with a record of 6-13-4 (22 points). It will have at least one more match this year against Club America in the 2020 Concacaf Champions League, scheduled to resume play Dec. 15-22.
Columbus Crew SC 2, Atlanta United 1
Shots: 13-9 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 4-3 Columbus
Corner kicks: 10-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 18-11 Columbus
Clearances: 24-5 Columbus
Possession: 55-45 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 85-84 Atlanta
CLB - Lucas Zelarayan (Milton Valenuela) 28' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Gyasi Zardes (Artur) 55' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Marcelino Moreno (penalty) 60' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Franco Escobar (yellow) 11'
CLB - Lucas Zelarayan (yellow) 17'
CLB - Milton Valenzuela (yellow) 59'
ATL - Franco Escobar (second yellow) 90+1'
CLB - Darlington Nagbe (yellow) 90+5'
ATL - Brad Guzan (yellow) 90+6'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; George Bello (Jake Mulraney - 86'), Miles Robinson, Fernando Meza, Franco Escobar; Jeff Larentowicz © (Mattheus Rossetto - 86'), Emerson Hyndman (Cubo Torres - 77'); Ezequiel Barco, Marcelino Moreno, Jürgen Damm (Brooks Lennon - 77'); Jon Gallagher (Adam Jahn - 68')
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Laurence Wyke, Edgar Castillo, Eric Remedi
COLUMBUS CREW SC STARTING LINEUP
Eloy Room; Milton Valenzuela (Waylon Francis - 71'), Jonathan Mensah ©, Josh Williams, Harrison Afful; Artur (Aidan Morris - 86'), Darlington Nagbe, Pedro Santos, Derrick Etienne Jr. (Luis Diaz - 69'), Lucas Zelarayan; Gyasi Zardes.
Substitutes not used: Andrew Tarbell, Chris Cadden, Aboubacar Keita, Emmanuel Boateng, Fanendo Adi, Krisztian Nemeth.
Ismail Elfath, (referee), Corey Parker, (assistant), Cory Richardson, (assistant), Sergii Demianchuk, (fourth), Hilario Grajeda (VAR).
Marcelino Moreno has now scored in back-to-back MLS matches.
Moreno has also now registered a point in three consecutive matches.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 437th MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (498).
Larentowicz also started his 397th MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (461) and Chad Marshall (404).
Atlanta's 10 corner kicks was a season high.
Moreno had a game-high 37 passes in the opponents' half of the field.
Emerson Hyndman had a game-high 8 recoveries.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2020
- Late Goal Lifts Colorado Past the Dynamo 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire FC 3 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Dominates Dallas, Earns Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Close Season with a Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Secure No. 3 Seed in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 1-1 Draw on the Road against Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Falls on the Road against Minnesota United FC on Decision Day - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Draws Portland Timbers 1-1 on Decision Day Presented by AT&T - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Wins West with 2-0 Win over RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Diego Rossi Wins MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Becomes Youngest Player in History to Win MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Rubio's Stoppage Time Winner Lifts Rapids to Third Straight Win - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Stuns Orlando City SC 3-2 in Stoppage Time - Nashville SC
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Montreal Impact Clinch Playoff Berth - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Clinches MLS Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-3 to New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Lions Fall to Nashville SC on Decision Day - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Lose 3-2 to the Montreal Impact in the Final Game of 2020 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Conclude Regular Season with 2-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Win 2020 Supporters' Shield - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Travel to Face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Decision Day - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United Today - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Concludes Inaugural MLS Regular Season at Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United signs Lisandro Lopez from Racing Club
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff
- Atlanta United Selects Josh Bauer and Aiden McFadden in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Atlanta United Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United