Throwback Night Friday vs. Newfoundland
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals (10-4-2-0, 22 pts., 1st North) hope for a 'gnarly' Throwback Night, pres. by Enersys, Friday at 7:00 p.m. against the Newfoundland Growlers (10-5-0-0, 20 pts., T-2nd North) as the sides gear up for the first of three straight games this weekend at Santander Arena. Fans are encouraged to go 'to the max'; the first 100 dressed in 80's and 90's gear will receive a Rubik's cube, plus college tickets are $5 with a valid student ID at the box office.
It's been a 'totally crunk' couple of weeks for Reading; the squad has won three straight games and is 8-1-1-0 in their last ten to push the team to a tie for the most points in the Eastern Conference. It was a 'pretty rad' ending in the Royals' last home game Saturday vs. Wheeling; Corey Mackin 'opened up a can' on the Nailers defense by scoring 48 seconds into overtime to secure the first 1-0 OT win in Royals history. Kirill Ustimenko was 'pretty fly' throughout the game with 32 saves for his first North American professional shutout.
Since 'bugging out' and dropping four of six games from Oct. 19 - Nov. 2, Newfoundland has rattled off five straight wins and outscored foes, 20-11, over that span. Wednesday at Adirondack, Aaron Luchuk scored twice and Angus Redmond denied 26 shots (2 GA) for a 3-2 win.
Today's promotions: 80's/90's throwback night | Rubik's Cube giveaway to the first 100 fans dressed in 80s/90s costumes | 80's and 90's photo experiences | SNES Giveaway during chuck a puck | $5 College Tickets with valid student ID at the box office | $1 Popcorn | Karaoke Night on the concourse
Broadcast Coverage: Listen on the Deibler Dental In-Arena Broadcast (99.3 FM) and mixlr.com/readingroyals
Goals: Cuddemi (10)
Assists: Cuddemi (11)
Points: Cuddemi (21)
PIM: Mitchell (24)
+/-: Gaudreau (12)
Goals: Pooley (10)
Assists: Conrad (13)
Points: Luchuk (18)
PIM: Melindy (36)
+/-: M. Bradley/Pooley (+8)
Giveaways and specials continue for the Royals' season-long six-game homestand, which runs through Nov. 30. These include a glow stick giveaway to the first 2,000 fans (pres. by ACS) on Nov. 23, a free postgame skate on Nov. 24 (pres. by Body Zone), Penny Days special in the team store on Nov. 29 and a PAW Patrol kids t-shirt giveaway on Nov. 30.
Fri., Nov. 22 vs. Newfoundland at 7:00 p.m. Throwback Night
Sat., Nov. 23 vs. Newfoundland at 7:00 p.m. - Hockey Fights Cancer
Sun., Nov. 24 vs. Newfoundland at 4:00 p.m. - Princess Day
Fri., Nov. 29 vs. Toledo at 7:00 p.m. - Game Show Night
Sat., Nov. 30 vs. Toledo at 7:00 p.m. - PAW Patrol Night
Psyched about first
The current 8-1-1-0 stretch has comprised even dominance in and out of the North Division; Reading is 4-1-0-0 in games contested outside the division and 4-0-1-0 vs. the North since Oct. 30.
The club is outscoring teams, 32-24, during the last ten games. Before the 8-1-1-0 stretch, the Royals were tied for fifth in the North with five points (2-3-1-0 record). Kirill Ustimenko has recorded a 5-1-1-0 mark since Oct. 27 (2.15 GAA, .923 save percentage), tied for the most wins in the league over that time.
Ralph Cuddemi has 13 points (5g) to lead the way since the hot streak started. Corey Mackin is riding a five-game point streak and has five goals since Oct. 27, tied for the best on the team.
This is the latest in a regular season the Royals have held sole possession of first place in the division since Kirk MacDonald became coach in Apr. 2017. Despite starting 4-0-0-0 in Kirk MacDonald's first season, the Royals never held sole possession of first place. On Dec. 9, 2017, following a 5-1 rout vs. Adirondack, the Royals were even with Manchester for first place in the North Division. In 2018-19, Reading was tied for first four games into the season with a 2-1-0-1 mark.
The Royals have won six straight home games, putting the club one win away from matching the best home streak in the Kirk MacDonald era. Reading began 2017-18 with wins in seven straight home games.
At home, Reading is outshooting foes by an average of ten shots per game (37 SF/27 SA) and has outscored foes, 24-19. Reading has won five of its six home games (6-1-0-0 record) by one goal. By contrast, last season, the Royals won six games by one goal the entire season, home and away.
The Royals have forged one come-from-behind win at Santander Arena, a 6-4 win on Nov. 9 vs. the Nailers.
Quick series facts
Reading has points in three of four games vs. the Growlers (2-1-1-0 record)
The Royals have scored first in two of the four games.
Each team has one come-from-behind win (REA Oct. 11, NFD Oct. 12).
The clubs play 14 times in 2019-20, the most either team faces another opponent this season
This is the second time this season the Royals and Growlers play three straight games against each other. It's the first time this season the Royals play an opponent three times in three days. The last time it happened, Dec. 14-16, 2018, the Royals went 3-0-0-0 vs. Allen.
Frank DiChiara leads active Royals with three goals and six points in the series. Aaron Luchuk tops the Growlers with four goals and is tied with Colt Conrad for a series-best nine points.
A Royals Win Would...
Tie a season-long four-game win streak...Extend the team to points in six straight games...Give Reading their third season-series victory vs. Newfoundland...Move the Royals to 2-0-0-0 at Santander Arena vs. the Growlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 22, 2019
- Steelheads Early Offense Sparks 4-2 Win over Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Fall in Road Trip Opener to Idaho, 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Fall to Wheeling in Late Thriller - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Rides Offensive Explosion, Routs Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wiitala Brings out the Hats in Big Home Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Start Road Trip with Loss at Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Mariners Past the Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- 'Blades Stung Late in 3-2 Loss to Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Third Period Pushes Allen Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- First-Place Royals Win Fourth Straight, Hold off Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Siebenaler's Late Game Heroics Win Another One - Wheeling Nailers
- Glads Roast Swamp Rabbits in Decisive Road Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fox and Culkin Power Mariners over Admirals, 6-1 - Maine Mariners
- Reading Halts the Growlers - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- "Going for Gold": Brennan Saulnier and His Olympic Sister - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Sign Jake Jackson - Utah Grizzlies
- Swavely Loaned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Craig Wyszomirski Returns to Fuel Blueline - Indy Fuel
- Deck the Hall - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - November 22 - ECHL
- Winterfest 2020 Individual Packages on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- First Place Battle on Tap for Friday Night - Florida Everblades
- Black Friday Deals Now and on Sunday's Game Day - Brampton Beast
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Goaltender Gilles Senn Re-Assigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- Goaltender Hunter Miska Returns to Grizz Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Candidates for the 2019-20 Adirondack Hockey Hall of Fame Class Announced - Adirondack Thunder
- Hunter Fejes Heads up to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hockey Fights Cancer Night Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Raise $1,440 for Portland Hockey Trust - Maine Mariners
- Throwback Night Friday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 22 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck