Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Scott Glennie tallied two goals, including the game-winner in overtime, as the Texas Stars toppled the Oklahoma City Barons 4-3 Friday night in front of 5,808 fans at Cedar Park Center.
The Barons jumped in front first when C.J. Stretch completed a give-and-go with former Star Austin Fyten and carried the puck around a sprawling Cristopher Nilstorp for a 1-0 Oklahoma City lead. The Stars evened things up on the power play as Travis Morin found Curtis McKenzie on the right side of the net, where he executed a beautiful spinning backhand pass across the crease to a wide-open Scott Glennie, who hammered in the one-timer for his 11th goal of the year.
A miscommunication behind the Stars net led to Barons' right wing Matthew Ford picking up a turnover and backhanding it home to put Oklahoma City ahead 2-1 at 11:39 of the second period. Texas answered with another goal from their AHL-leading power play unit as Dustin Jeffrey ripped a wrist shot from the top of the right circle through a screen and in to pull the Stars level at two. The Barons regained their lead just 52 seconds later when Alex Lavoie collected the rebound of a shot that pinballed its way through traffic and put it into the net to make it 3-2.
Rookie Brett Ritchie tied the game at three midway through the third period, streaking in between two defensemen and launching a sensational backhand that went off the right post and in. The Ritchie goal, his 17th of the year, was assisted by Mike Hedden, who recorded his 200th career professional point. The teams remained deadlocked through the end of regulation, sending the game to overtime.
Just past the midpoint of overtime, Jeffrey launched a shot that was initially stopped by Barons' goalie Richard Bachman, but the puck careened off the body of Glennie and into the goal to give the Stars the victory at 2:50 of the extra session. It was Glennie's second goal of the night, his 12th of the season, assisted by Jeffrey and Derek Meech, who had two assists on the game.
Cristopher Nilstorp (22-12-4) stopped 34-of-37 shots faced and earned his 22nd win of the season in goal for Texas. Nilstorp also passed the 15,000 minutes played milestone for his pro career during the first period. Oklahoma City goalie Richard Bachman (20-17-4) had 37 saves on 41 shots, suffering his 17th loss of the season. The Stars outshot the Barons 41-37and went 2-for-4 on the power play, while Oklahoma City was 0-for-2 with the man-advantage.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Stars Fall to IceHogs in 3-2 Shootout Battle
- Texas Stars Assign Three to Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Reassigned to Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Loan Forward Justin Dowling to Texas
- Dallas Stars Acquire Sixth-Round Selection in the 2020 NHL Draft from the Florida Panthers in Exchange for Defenseman Emil Djuse