Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1
Hamilton, ONT - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens) 5-1 on Saturday night at FirstOntario Centre. The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 35-23-5-2 record and 77 points.
The Heat scored three goals in under a minute during the first period, which proved to be the difference in the game. 11 players recorded at least a point in the win, while goaltender Aaron Dell picked up his first career AHL win and was named the first star of the game.
After killing off two early Bulldogs power plays, The Heat received the next man advantage, and Corey Locke scored his first goal in a Heat uniform at 14:28, assisted by Kane Lafranchise and Derek Smith. 19 seconds later, Chad Billins scored his 10th goal of the season assisted by Dean Arsene and Corban Knight. Ben Street capped off the scoring in the first period with his team leading 24th goal of the season at 15:21, assisted by Josh Jooris and Max Reinhart.
Sven Baertschi scored the only goal of the second period on the power play at the 10 minute mark, with the assists going to Derek Smith and Brett Olson.
Nathan Beaulieu got the Bulldogs on the board in the third period, with a power play goal at 3:59. However, Max Reinhart scored into the empty net at 19:11, assisted by Josh Jooris to make it a 5-1 final.
The Heat finished the night going two for three on the power play, and killed off three of four Bulldogs power play attempts.
In goal, Aaron Dell picked up the win turning aside 37 of the 38 shots he faced, while Bulldogs goaltender Dustin Tokarski was the losing goaltender making 19 of 23 saves.
Abbotsford's six game road trip will continue on Sunday, March 23rd against the Toronto Marlies at 11:30AM PST. The next Heat home game is against the Rockford Ice Hogs on Friday, April 4th at 7:00 pm at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.