Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch were overwhelmed 6-2 by the Albany Devils tonight at the War Memorial on Shapiro Motors "Turn Back the Clock Night."
Tonight's loss drops Syracuse's overall record to 24-29-4-6. The Crunch were able to convert on two of five power plays while the Crunch penalty kill allowed one power-play goal on nine Devils chances. Crunch netminder Cedrick Desjardins stopped 22 of 28 shots in defeat while his Devils counterpart Scott Wedgewood stopped 22 of 24.
The Devils took an early lead in the opening frame when Raman Hrabarenka potted the first goal of the game with a slapshot from the right point three minutes in. The Devils doubled their lead at the 8:34 mark when Adam Larsson took a pass from Darcy Zajac and scored from the blue line. Alexander Urbom one-timed a feed from Hrabarenka from the high slot with 1:37 left to increase the Devils's lead to three. Kelly Zajac was credited with the secondary assist.
Albany extended their lead with two second-period tallies. Reid Boucher lifted the puck from the top of the left circle to put it past Desjardins 1:36 into the second stanza. Assists went to Larsson and Joe Whitney. The Crunch got on the board with a power-play goal from Brett Connolly a minute later. Connolly shot from the bottom left circle to put it past Wedgewood stick side. Assists were credited to Cedric Paquette and Vladislav Namestnikov. Albany's fifth goal went to K. Zajac when he faked Desjardins to score on a pass from David Wohlberg at 9:56, just as a Crunch power play had expired.
Mike Sislo converted on a Devils power play with a wrist shot to the glove side of Desjardins one minute into the final frame. Assists were credited to Scott Timmins and Whitney.
Jonathan Marchessault converted on the Crunch five-on-three man advantage with 3:46 left. Marchessault shot from the center of the offensive zone after taking a feed from Jon DiSalvatore.
The Crunch host the St. John's IceCaps Wednesday, March 26 at 7 p.m.
Crunchables: The Syracuse Crunch faced off against the Albany River Rats for their inaugural game in 1994...Jonathan Marchessault's third period goal was his first in a Crunch uniform...The Crunch have scored multiple power-play goals 10 times this season...With a goal and an assist tonight Brett Connolly has nine multi-point games this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.