IceCaps beat Sound Tigers
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers lost to the St. John's IceCaps in a shootout Saturday night, falling by a final score of 2-1. Adam Brace scored the lone goal for the Sound Tigers, who were unable to beat IceCaps goaltender Tyler Beskorowany again despite peppering him with 37 shots on goal. Kevin Poulin stopped 20 of 21 shots for the Sound Tigers.
Though the action was back and forth in the first period, neither team was able to put the puck in the net. Though there were just 11 combined shots on goal in the first, both teams generated a fair share of chances.
The Sound Tigers struck first early in the second period on a power-play goal from Brace. Scooter Vaughan had the puck at the left point and sent it across to Jake Newton. Newton fired a slap shot that went wide, but the puck redirected off the end boards and right back out to Brace in front. Brace had an open net waiting for him and he slipped it past Beskorowany to make it a 1-0 game.
The IceCaps evened the score midway through the period on captain Jason Jaffray's 17th of the season. Jaffray took a pass from Andrew Gordon and shot it from the right wing. Poulin initially made the stop, though the puck began to trickle perilously through the crease. Poulin tried to keep it out, but was unable to get to the puck before it went past the goal line. Jaffray's goal made it a 1-1 game at the 9:27 mark of the second.
The third period saw plenty of chances for the Sound Tigers, but Beskorowany proved to be the difference for St. John's in the third. The Sound Tigers outshot the IceCaps 14-6, but Beskorowany made the highlight-reel saves that made the difference and sent the game to overtime. When nothing could be decided there, the teams went to a shootout.
John Persson scored in the first round for the Sound Tigers, while Carl Klingberg answered in the third round for St. John's. It took until the sixth round for the contest to be decided, when Adam Lowry slipped the puck past Poulin and gave St. John's the victory.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.