Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons (39-19-1-5) were defeated by the Manchester Monarchs by the final score of 5-2 Saturday night at the MassMutual Center, halting the team's winning streak at five games.
Brian O'Neill led the Monarchs with two goals and an assist Saturday night, while Jordan Weal and Linden Vey each chipped in with a goal and an assist. O'Neill now has 21 goals this season, leading Manchester.
Denny Urban found the back of the net with a power-play goal at 3:36 of the second period, evening the score at 1-1 with a wrist shot from the high slot that beat Manchester netminder Jean-Francois Berube. For Urban, the goal was his second of the season and his ninth point in nine games since joining the Falcons.
Dana Tyrell also scored for Springfield, jamming home a loose puck at 16:06 of the third period to cut the Manchester lead to 4-2. Tyrell now has six points (four goals, two assists) in seven games since being acquired in a trade from the Tampa Bay Lightning organization.
Mike McKenna took his first loss in his last six starts, making 18 saves on 22 shots in net for the Falcons. Berube stopped 20 of 22 to earn his 24th win of the season.
Springfield went 1-for-8 on the power play, while the Monarch went 1-for-4.
The Falcons are back in action at the MassMutual Center Sunday, March 23 to host the St. John's IceCaps at 3:00 p.m. Sunday's contest will feature a post-game skate.
Fans are invited to the MassMutual Center in 2013-14 to watch the reigning Northeast Division-champion Falcons compete in their 20th anniversary season. Adult season-ticket packages start as low as $13 per game. To reserve your seats for the 2013-14 season, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Support the Falcons throughout the 2013-14 season by wearing red, white and blue at all the home games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.