Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers
Tyler Beskorowany made 36 saves through regulation and overtime and stopped five-of-six in the shootout as the St. John's IceCaps edged the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 2-1 Saturday at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT.
Adam Lowry notched the shootout winner while Jason Jaffray scored in regulation for St. John's. Beskorowany earned his third straight win since taking over the starting role between the pipes.
After a scoreless first period, the Sound Tigers capitalized on a power play opportunity early in the second frame. Adam Brace pounced on a fortunate bounce off the end boards for his third goal, beating Beskorowany, who had no chance on the play.
Jaffray pulled the IceCaps even at one apiece at 9:27 of the second on his 17th of the season. After Andrew Gordon flipped the puck into the Sound Tigers zone, goaltender Kevin Poulin got caught out of position and Jaffray banked the puck off the Bridgeport netminder's skate and in.
With neither team able to find the twine in the third or overtime, a shootout was needed to decide the outcome. John Persson and Carl Klingberg traded goals for their respective teams, which set the stage for Lowry's game-winner in the sixth round as he made a nice move before sliding the puck underneath Poulin.
The IceCaps travel to Springfield for an afternoon tilt Sunday at MassMutual Center versus the Falcons. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com and on 930 AM, or watch online at www.ahllive.com. Puck drop is set for 4:30 p.m. NT with the pregame show getting underway at 4:00.
Notes: Not dressed for St. John's: Kris Fredheim, Cody Lampl, Colton Beck, Kael Mouillierat... St. John's has collected a point in 13 of its last 14 games... Jason Jaffray extended his point streak to seven games (2G, 8A)... St. John's went 0-for-4 on the power play and killed off three-of-four penalties... The IceCaps improved to 4-3 in shootouts this season... Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. Tyler Beskorowany 2. Adam Lowry 3. Kevin Poulin... Mary Brown's Hardest Working Player: Jason Jaffray.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.