Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout
ROCKFORD, Ill. --- Goaltender Matt Climie kicked out 31 shots and three of five in the shootout, but the Chicago Wolves ultimately fell to the Rockford IceHogs 2-1 in the extra session in Saturday night's Illinois Lottery Cup game at the MetroCentre.
Right wing Cody Beach scored the lone regulation goal for the Wolves during the second period and center Keith Aucoin had the only successful shootout attempt. Climie moved to 7-9-1 in one of his best performances of the season.
The Wolves (36-19-5-3) could not muster the same offensive output that they had in Friday night's 6-0 win over Rockford, but they did open scoring in the second period following a scoreless first frame.
After sustained pressure during the period, Beach was sprung on a breakaway by forward Nathan Longpre and defenseman Brett Ponich (suited up for his first Wolves game since October 29). Beach whipped a shot on net that deflected in off the far post to beat Rockford goaltender Jason LaBarbera at 13:50.
The lead would not last to the third period as the IceHogs (31-25-5-4) got on the board with 42 seconds remaining in the middle frame. Defenseman Adam Clendening rifled a shot from the point that was tipped in front by center Brad Mills to knot the score 1-1.
Chicago could not tally on two late power plays in the third period as the game extended into overtime and then a shootout. Left wing Garrett Ross and center Pierre-Marc Bouchard converted in the third and fourth rounds of the shootout, respectively, to seal Rockford's win.
LaBarbera (13-9-3) kicked out 35 of 36 Wolves shots through regulation and overtime and four of five shootout attempts.
The Wolves return to Allstate Arena at 3 p.m. Sunday against Grand Rapids. The Wolves host the first Rainbow Loom Expo from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the game. For deals on tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.