Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight
SYRACUSE, NY - The Albany Devils extended their winning streak to four games and strengthen their position in the Eastern Conference with a 6-2 victory against the Syracuse Crunch Saturday at the War Memorial at OnCenter. Raman Hrabarenka, Adam Larsson, Joe Whitney and Kelly Zajac all posted multi-point games and Scott Wedgewood made 22 stops for his 13th win of the season.
The Devils, who have allowed just three goals in the last four games, improve to 34-20-3-7 and are tied for fifth with 78 points. The Crunch move to 24-29-4-6.
Hrabarenka, Larsson and fellow defenseman Alexander Urbom combined for first period goals to give Albany a 3-0 advantage at the break. All three tallies came from slap shots from the right point. Hrabarenka opened the scoring at 3:28 and Larsson followed at 8:34 from Darcy Zajac and Cam Janssen. Urbom's first goal of the season, which included helpers from Hrabarenka and Kelly Zajac, came at 18:23.
In the second, the Devils picked up where they left off. Boucher sniped a shot from atop the slot at 1:36 with assists to Larsson and Joe Whitney.
After Syracuse's Brett Connolly got his team on the board with a power-play goal at 2:56, Kelly Zajac scored a falling-down breakaway marker at 9:56. David Wohlberg registered the assist.
Mike Sislo added to Albany's lead with a laser from between the circles on the power play at the start of the third. Whitney and Scott Timmins assisted the winger/s team-leading 23rd goal of the season 1:07 into the third period.
Syracuse's Jonathon Marchessault concluded the scoring with a 5-on-3 power play tally at 16:14.
Between the pipes, Wedgewood also moved his winning streak to four games. The reigning CCM/AHL Player of the Week made five stops in the first, 10 in the second and eight in the third.
The Devils return to action Sunday with a 4 pm outing against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall. The Devils and Penguins are tied in the conference standings and the season series is tied 1-1. Fans can follow the action online or on mobile devices at ahllive.com. Additionally the game can be heard on 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.