Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1
HAMILTON, ONTARIO - The Hamilton Bulldogs surrendered three goals in a 53-second span late in the first period and they couldn't recover as the Abbotsford Heat (35-23-5-2) went on to beat the 'Dogs (28-31-1-4) 5-1 on Saturday evening at FirstOntario Centre.
Abbotsford forward Corey Locke started the scoring with a power play goal at 14:28 of the first period, assisted by defencemen Kane Lafranchise and Derek Smith.
Nineteen seconds later, Heat defenceman Chad Billins made it 2-0, with assists from defenceman Dean Arsene and forward Corban Knight.
Then just 34 seconds after that, Abbotsford forward Ben Street grew the Bulldogs' deficit to 3-0, with assists from forwards Josh Jooris and Max Reinhart.
Exactly halfway through the middle frame, with the Heat on the power play, forward Sven Baertschi extended his club's lead to 4-0. Assists on the play went to Smith and forward Brett Olson.
Just under four minutes into the third period, Bulldogs defenceman Nathan Beaulieu gave his club a fighting chance on the power play with his sixth goal of the season to make it 4-1, with assists from forwards Christian Thomas and Sven Andrighetto.
The 'Dogs pulled netminder Devan Dubnyk - who played the third period in relief of starter Dustin Tokarski - for an extra attacker late, but Reinhart sealed the game with an empty-net goal with 49 seconds to play. Jooris drew an assist.
Tokarski made 19 saves on 23 shots in 40 minutes of action for the Bulldogs and was credited with the loss, while Devan Dubnyk made five saves on five shots in the third period. Aaron Dell made 37 saves on 38 shots for the Heat in the win.
Hamilton went 1-for-4 on the power play, while Abbotsford went 2-for-3.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.