Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor
Rockford, Ill.- A sold out crowd at the BMO Harris Bank Center was treated to an impressive goaltending duel that eventually saw the Rockford IceHogs come away with a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Wolves in a shootout.
Jason LaBarbera made 35 saves for the Hogs in regulation and an extra overtime session before stopping another four in the shootout to help Rockford earn the 2-1 win.
Despite a scoreless first period, both goaltenders, LaBarbera and Matt Climie for Chicago, were on top of their game, fending off numerous chances. Shots on goal at the end of the first period were 9-11 in Rockford's favor.
It took 6:10 into the second frame before the first goal went up on the scoreboard and it was the Wolves who struck first. A pass from Nathan Longpre hopped over the stick of a Hogs' defender and sent Cody Beach on a mini breakaway. Beach took advantage and slipped in his fourth of the season past LaBarbera to put Chicago out in front 1-0.
Then, with just 41.6 seconds left on the clock in the second frame, Adam Clendening fired a shot from the blueline that Brad Mills tipped over the shoulder of Climie to tie the game at 1-1. The assist for Clendening was his 42nd of the season and he broke an all-time record for assists by a defenseman in a single-season, previously held by Brian Connelly.
The goaltenders again were stellar on both ends of the ice holding the game at a 1-1 tie through regulation and an overtime session.
Rockford earned the victory with goals from Garret Ross and Pierre-Marc Bouchard in the shootout.
Climie was tagged with a loss despite stopping 31 of the 32 shots he faced. Tonight's matchup will go down in Rockford's record book for the second-best attendance during the team's AHL era with 6,513 fans.
Next Home Game: Friday, Mar. 28 against Grand Rapids Griffins. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive an IceHogs sock monkey courtesy of BMO Harris Bank.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Hogs Cap Homestand with $2 Beer, Magnet Schedule Giveaway
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval
- Hogs Kick off Home Schedule with Calendar Giveaway this Saturday at BMO