Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Justin Dowling and Travis Morin each scored twice as the Texas Stars rallied from 2-0 down to beat the Oklahoma City Barons 5-3 on Saturday night in front of 6,439 fans at Cedar Park Center, completing the sweep of Military Appreciation Weekend.
Both goaltenders were tested early in the first period. Texas starter Jack Campbell stoned Ben Eager on a breakaway and Oklahoma City netminder Laurent Brossoit stopped Curtis McKenzie on a shorthanded chance with a split-pad save. It was the Barons that got on the scoreboard first at 11:20 of the period. Campbell made the save on Curtis Hamilton's initial wrist-shot, but Travis Ewanyk slammed home the rebound for a 1-0 lead. Penalties to Brett Ritchie and Taylor Peters gave Oklahoma City a five-on-three advantage with 1:34 left in the period. Matthew Ford doubled the Barons' lead when he put in a rebound from an Andrew Miller shot.
The Stars rallied in the second period to level the score. Just 2:44 into the frame, Justin Dowling found Patrik Nemeth at the top of the left circle and Nemeth blasted a slap-shot under Brossoit's glove for his second goal of the season. The AHL's leading scorer, Travis Morin, tied the game at 12:13 when he won a faceoff at the right circle and scorched a wrist-shot past Brossoit's blocker to tie the game at two. Morin's unassisted goal was his 30th of the year, making him the third player in franchise history to reach the 30-goal single-season milestone.
A mere 1:55 into the final period, Justin Dowling collected a pass from Brett Ritchie, sped his way down the left side, toe-dragged the puck around Brossoit and slid it into the open net to give the Stars a 3-2 lead. The Barons responded at 4:31 with a goal from Miller that knotted the game at three. With 6:46 left in regulation, Dowling fired a seemingly harmless wrist shot on net from the right wing boards that eluded Brossoit and slipped through his pads to become the eventual game-winner. The goal was Dowling's second of the period, assisted by Kevin Henderson and Brett Ritchie, and it gave the Stars a 4-3 lead. Morin then tacked on an empty net goal from the red line with 49.8 seconds left, his second goal of the evening, securing a 5-3 Texas victory.
Jack Campbell (10-1-0) stopped 31-of-34 shots faced and earned his 10th win of the season in between the pipes for Texas. Oklahoma City goalie Laurent Brossoit (2-6-0) made 38 saves on 42 shots and took his sixth loss of the season. The Stars outshot the Barons 43-34 and went 0-for-7 with the man-advantage, while Oklahoma City was 1-for-4 on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- 2021-22 Promotional Schedule Announced
- Texas Stars Sign Defenseman Spenser Young to AHL Contract
- Texas Stars Reunite with Forward Curtis McKenzie on a Two-Year AHL Contract
- Josh Melnick Returns to Texas Stars on AHL Contract
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Joseph Cecconi to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract