Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak
WILKES-BARRE, PA. - Colin Stuart's goal eight minutes into the third period proved to be the difference, as the Utica Comets skated to a 2-1 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in front of a sold out Mohegan Sun Arena on Saturday night.
The Penguins (35-21-3-5, 78 points) saw their five game winning streak and seven game points streak snapped, while the Comets (28-28-3-4, 63 points) won for the sixth time in their past eight games.
Stuart beat a screened Peter Mannino with a nifty wrister that appeared to change course en route to the net, with the goal coming just two seconds after a tripping call on the Penguins goaltender expired. It was Stuart's 17th goal of the season, the second highest total on the Utica roster.
After a scoreless first period, Utica opened the scoring with a power play goal off of the stick of Pascal Pelletier at 12:28 of the second. The Comets' leading scorer swept home a quick shot into the far corner of the Pens net with Mannino blocked by one of his own defensemen. The goal was the first allowed by Mannino in 194:48 of play, which included back-to-back shutouts against the Norfolk Admirals and Syracuse Crunch.
Chuck Kobasew tied the score less than three minutes later, taking a pass from Andrew Ebbett behind the Utica defense and snapping a low shot past netminder Joe Cannata. Kobasew, who was a veteran scratch in Syracuse on Friday night, has now scored one goal in each of the three games he has suited up for with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Beau Bennett made his return to action after being sidelined with a wrist injury for four months. Assigned to Wilkes-Barre on a conditioning stint by Pittsburgh earlier in the day, Bennett was held off the scoresheet, but did see time on the Pens power play unit. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is back in action in Atlantic City on Sunday afternoon, where they will face the Albany Devils at 4:00pm.
Good seats for all Penguins home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena box office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000. Group rates, flex books and mini-plans are available directly from the Penguins ticket office by calling 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton