Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak
WILKES-BARRE, PA. - Colin Stuart's goal eight minutes into the third period proved to be the difference, as the Utica Comets skated to a 2-1 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in front of a sold out Mohegan Sun Arena on Saturday night.
The Penguins (35-21-3-5, 78 points) saw their five game winning streak and seven game points streak snapped, while the Comets (28-28-3-4, 63 points) won for the sixth time in their past eight games.
Stuart beat a screened Peter Mannino with a nifty wrister that appeared to change course en route to the net, with the goal coming just two seconds after a tripping call on the Penguins goaltender expired. It was Stuart's 17th goal of the season, the second highest total on the Utica roster.
After a scoreless first period, Utica opened the scoring with a power play goal off of the stick of Pascal Pelletier at 12:28 of the second. The Comets' leading scorer swept home a quick shot into the far corner of the Pens net with Mannino blocked by one of his own defensemen. The goal was the first allowed by Mannino in 194:48 of play, which included back-to-back shutouts against the Norfolk Admirals and Syracuse Crunch.
Chuck Kobasew tied the score less than three minutes later, taking a pass from Andrew Ebbett behind the Utica defense and snapping a low shot past netminder Joe Cannata. Kobasew, who was a veteran scratch in Syracuse on Friday night, has now scored one goal in each of the three games he has suited up for with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Beau Bennett made his return to action after being sidelined with a wrist injury for four months. Assigned to Wilkes-Barre on a conditioning stint by Pittsburgh earlier in the day, Bennett was held off the scoresheet, but did see time on the Pens power play unit. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is back in action in Atlantic City on Sunday afternoon, where they will face the Albany Devils at 4:00pm.
Good seats for all Penguins home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena box office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000. Group rates, flex books and mini-plans are available directly from the Penguins ticket office by calling 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Goaltending Dual Tilts in Hogs Favor - Rockford IceHogs
- Wagner's Hat Trick Not Enough - Norfolk Admirals
- Barons Drop Second Straight in Texas, 5-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Comets Snap Pens' Five-Game Winning Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Large Crowd Fills GFCC in Phantoms' Return - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Outlasted by IceHogs in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Sweep Weekend Series with Barons - Texas Stars
- IceCaps beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shootout Unkind to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Overpowered by Devils 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Spring Forward - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Burns Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Outlast Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-1 - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Battle Back for 6-5 OT Win in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Win Streak Halted with Loss to Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Rally for Three Late Goals to Top Hershey 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Beskorowany Stands Tall as IceCaps Trump Sound Tigers - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Beat Bulldogs 5-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Win Fourth Straight - Albany Devils
- Fast, Wolf Pack Power over Adirondack 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- South All-Stars Sweep the North in MSHCA All-Star Games at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Jets Re-Assign Patrice Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Nightingale and Shea Suspended - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Post 3-2 Comeback Win over Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Sweep Wild with 3-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Archibald Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gameday: Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Utica Comets
- Sold out Barn Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Kings Assign Bartosak to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Jets Re-Assign John Albert to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Sign Forward Marko Dano to Standard Player Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Offer Remote Control Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- Boak Signs ATO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Come From Behind to Down Barons, 4-3, in Overtime - Oklahoma City Barons
- Flames Assign Joni Ortio to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Beats Oklahoma City 4-3 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drill IceHogs 6-0 in Physical Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Surrender Three Third Period Goals, Lose 5-2 to Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.